Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Question For All You Pros

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by T-swizzo, Jan 19, 2007.

1. T-swizzo

T-swizzo Newbie

What's up to all CK5'ers- I have a question that you guys are most definitely qualified to answer. I recently flip, rolled, and wrecked my '91 Jeep Cherokee. :doah: I am kinda stoked because now I have the excuse to buy a new truck.:D I have always been in love with the full size K5's and Jimmy's, but I don't know which year is going to give me the best ride, as in, transfer case, transmission ( I would like a manual, but it seems all I see for sale are mostly automatics ), engine, diffs, anything that is prone or subject to failing, and any other options that have proven themselves worthy over time.:confused: I have been looking online but want to narrow down the specifics. I want to do it right. I am on kind of a limited budget because I lost my job the same day I lost my 4x4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. You Rule! :bow:

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

go look in the vehicles for sale on this site, it is a good starting point

3. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

The best advise I could give you is to buy something that really trips your trigger then make it what you want it to be. It makes it a lot easier and enjoyable if you really like it to begin with, then make it your own. Anything can be changed, adapted or built.

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Although I am useless in the machanicle know how, my suggestion is do NOT rush into anything and buy it. Like bandit said, like it before you buy it. Spend some time going through this site and start writing down stuff that jumps out at you. Ask alot of questions and figure out what you really want. (play toy, Daily Driver and occasional play, trailer hauler, will it double as a work vehicle, family if any). Narrow it down to what you want and then look until you find it. I search for a couple of months and then stumbled upon EXACTLY what I wanted.
    Good Luck:waytogo:

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I say buy any year k5 that has a good body and is cheap. Almost everything swaps between the PU's and K5's and Subs. You can upgrade over time just by going to the junkyard.

6. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

One of the biggest decisions is the use of the vehicle. Kinda like what Babyburb mentioned.

Is it going to be a DD (daily driver) or full time toy. If it is going to be your DD then try to find a more drivable/reliable K5.

It is pretty easy to buy a stock K5 and build it up if u have the coin. For instance I got mine for under 2k, I'v only got 31" tires right now and I have a new 4" lift from ORD sitting in my house waiting to be installed.

I have had it for two years and I have been reading on here everyday trying to figure out what/how I wanted to do with it. I am lucky enough to have a dependable DD so I can mod to any extreme or just a simple 4" lift.

Like Babyburb said, look around, read pay up for a membership and listen to these guys. They will be able to answer any question you have.

My best advice, read for a while, just read any post that looks interesting and you will start picking it up pretty quickly.

And yes 33/35 inch tires will fit a K5 with a 4" lift.

Welcome

7. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

My story goes like this. Had my mind made up to get K5 then the more I thought about it the more I thought that wasn't big enough. Bought 76 3/4 ton burb stock.
    [​IMG]
    I will have to post up later with current pics. New tires, no running board, winch mounted on 1/2 assembled bumper. Maybe this evening???

8. T-swizzo

T-swizzo Newbie

Yes I will be using it as a daily driver and play toy. I like to snowboard, wakeboard, downhill mountain bike, scuba dive, off-road and camp, so this truck will definitely be getting around. I will be checking in here daily to get more info. I don't have a family so that is not a concern, but I am limited on cash. Thanks for the tips.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

33's will fit on a STOCK blazer.:deal: If your not afraid to trim the fenders....a member on here is running 42's with only 2" of lift.
    -Harrison

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I'm running 34x10.5's on a stock 91' k5. I don't stuff the tires in my daily commute, but I'll trim as needed as I find it's/my limits. A stock K5 will out due a stock xj any day, no NEED for lifts and huge tires.

11. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

I have a 78 3/4 PU I looked for about 4 yrs b/f I found it. All that time I put cash back. gave 2000 for the truck. and drive it 30 miles home. at the time it had a 396 from a 70 chevelle, 465/205, 6/3 lift d44/14bff, sitting on what was about a 235/60 r16.5 on back and 275/70 r16.5 on front, the bed was a faded orange, and parts of the cab was a feces brown. Ugly as sin to most but I feel in love.

One thing I have learned threw close personal experience, is keeping the DD, and toy separate. Think of it this way driving to work in a DD (Not wondering if it will overheat or lose oil pres, or anything else to go wrong), Working all week to make money, to "fix" the toy so you can go out the next weekend and tear hell out of it. Knowing you can get back and forth to work, grocery store, and sonic.

12. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

I've built a 84 Sub that just about covers everything. 4-inch lift from ORD, including HD shackles, etc. 37 inch MT Radial Claws fit with minor fender trimming, and the only thing I've busted is the auto-locking front hubs. It's my daily driver, trip car, and all-around company vehicle. If you're active (camping, mtn biking, surfing, etc.) these are the perfect vehicles to have. Go anywhere, haul anything. It's fun to embaress the local H-2 population.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Amen. A stock blazer can ramp out a 650 on an rti ramp.:deal:

I easily outwheeled a 4" lifted rubicon on 35's and I have less than 1/4 the price into mine that he did in his.
    -Harrison

14. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Second amen. Me again -- I just stuffed my huge old suburban up a tight trail over a rock face that was impassible to a new Rubicon and an H-2. I have a grand total of $4k in the truck, including the purchase price!

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Buy the cleanest one you can find.. when they rot, they go quick.

If you are going to use it for a daily driver, get an 87 or newer, with a throttle body.. earlier models with carbs and the rats nest of vacuum lines are a PITA, especially if you have emissions testing in your area.

Keep the ball joints and u -joints lubed ( or change them when you buy the truck just to be sure ) and whatever you buy should last a good while.

Tom

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

find the cleanest one you can like most people on here did, and then cut it up with the sawzall so its not so clean and then your ready to go wheeln :)

17. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status