Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a question of looks...firwall shaving and filling..

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by supersize75k5, Dec 30, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

on my 71 project, I have stipped the firewall bare, I want to pop the hood and just see my big block...and clean sheet metal.

I relocated a master cylender/mc to the frame and my pedal set up is though the floor now, for the heater I am installing a mohave style under the dash unit,

the issues I am having is the the molding od the firewall has some raised areas, as well as some that are further in. Right now I have the cab off again so I am trying to finish up the last of the metal work and test fit everything before I lay down any paint.

I had thought of cutting out the entire fire wall section, and laying a new piece of sheetmetal in, but alot of the cabs stucture is tied into this area.. not to mention I would have to make provisions for the steering colume...

so I made templets of all the holes to fill, and I could just use the plasma cutter to make the shapes, then weld them in,

this still leaves me with some raised/lowered areas though :(

I guess this is where the word "custom" comes into play on a custom truck..:blush:

I just am looking for ideas, I really dont want to tie up a million hours into the firewall, :(

[​IMG]

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

what about making some type of box that goes over it, like make a flat piece and just put some sides on it then tack weld it or rivet it to the old firewall.

3. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

What We Did On My S-10 Everything That Was Raise We Cut Off Wich Was Too Much But If You Have Alot You Might Want To Make Fillers. But After That We Just Used A Peice Of Sheet Metal Cut And Shaped It To Fit And Just Stiched Welded It Around The Edges Then Seam Sealed It To Make The Edges Look Kinda Factory. You Might Want To Use A Semi Stiff Peice I Think What We Used To Thin Of Metal And Use Can Se Waves In It Mybe The Next Time I Pull The Motor Out I Might Replace With Thiker Metal I Think I Wont Be As Wavy