Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A question regarding tailgate parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mat2312, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mat2312

mat2312 Registered Member

I want to replace my tailgate, I have a new tailgate but I need to order all the internals (too much rust/corrosion to salvage).

Does anyone have a parts-list? where I could order them from (Canada) and whether or not its a semi-easy job?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's the GM service manual exploded parts diagrams:

Tailgate is listed

I know rust is bad back east, (where are you located?) but if the internals are that bad, you will probably come out ahead buying another tailgate that is in better shape, provided you can find one.

I expect GM is going to be pricey for some of the stuff. You can check LMC truck, (and others) but from what I've seen, if you can get a good price from a GM dealer, LMC truck is about the same for aftermarket parts, which will in all likelihood be inferior to OEM. I'm sure shipping to Canada will cause additional headache if a US source is used.

3. mat2312

i'm located in the Toronto area, I got a good deal on a brand new aftermarket tailgate shell with the intention of switching my tailgate to a manual but i've decided against that and I wanna stay with the auto. So basically I gotta find internals + torch my glass out (yes torch! lol) then put them into my new tailgate :)

thanks for the help tho

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the parts that will be most expensive are the left and right latch, the center latch control, and the regulator itself... each of those parts list for over $100 apiece from LMC... good used would be the way to go...

most of the smaller stuff is reasonably priced...

5. mat2312

well perhaps I could salvage those out of my tailgate, any idea how to get a stuck window off/down without torching?

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

crawl in and take off the interior panel... you could try hotwiring the motor with some jumpers to eliminate all electric foward of that, switch, etc.. if the motors shot you could try running down the cable with a drill..

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI: the wires going to the motor are both positive, the case of the motor is ground. So to operate the motor you connect the positive wire to one of the connections on the motor, one will make it go up, the other will make it go down.

8. mat2312

thanks for the tips guys, i'll let you know how it turns out