Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A quick tip on axle service

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddog84, Jun 27, 2003.

1. muddog84

muddog84 Registered Member

when it came time to service the rear diff in my rig i had a problem with the plug on the side of the housing, it wont come out! Without the resources to get a cover with a plug in it i realized that i could re-fill the diff housing through the vent tube! That is what i did using a hand pump style bottle from the local auto parts store for the gear oil, just pull off the vent line from the housing and stick on the hose from the bottle and fill it up it will go kinda slow be ready but it does work. I put about 2 1/2 quarts in it and i have not had any problems at all, this was about 6 months ago. Also for the cover gaskets i use hylomar it is available at parts stores run it on both sides of a stock gasket (yes use a paper gasket still) in a thin coat and you shouldnt have any problems, i havent at all and the cover was easy to get off still when i changed out my front again (new cover). Hope some of this info can help someone else out thanks <font color="blue"> </font>

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Question, how do you know if you have enough gear oil in it? Why wont the plug come out? Is this on a 14b FF?

3. muddog84

muddog84 Registered Member

The axle is the stock 10 bolt. I found an old service manual that my boss had with correct fluid amounts for everything and went with that. When i tried to pull the plug, it being 3/8 square and the fact that it looked like it had NEVER been serviced before rounded out the head on the plug.