Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A rant on the demise of the true Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

This may be a bit late, but WHAT THE HELL WAS GM THINKING WHEN THEY BADGED THE ROLLERSKATES WITH THE NAMES BLAZER AND JIMMY? WE WERE THE FIRST OF THE FULL SIZED "SUV'S" BACK IN 69, THE LEGEND AND THE IMMORTALITY OF THE TRUE BREED SHOULD LIVE ON IN THE FORM OF WHAT IS NOW CALLED THE TAHOE AND YUKON. DO YOU THINK IF WE ALL GOT TOGETHER AND STORMED ON DETROIT WE COULD TURN THE TIDE??!! Sorry, I must be smoking something (I wish!) One can only wish. I'm a bit pumped up listening to George W. Go George!!!
    Once again, sorry. Politics and 4wheelin make strange bedfellows!
    Thanks for your ears!

You can't beat going Topless!

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Im votin for bush too. actually the International Scout Travelall was b4 the blazer, but whos countin. and we cant forget the burb.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

3. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Good point on the Burb, but the Scout can't really be considered full size, can it?

You can't beat going Topless!

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

The Suburban is the longest conitnuosly produced vehicle in the world--a pretty big deal.

GM is trying to cash in on the reputation of the trucks they made years ago, and it is working. Most people don't care about performance, they just want bragging rights. Eventually we can buy the new Yukons and Jimmys and Blazers, out a soild front axle in them and wheel the hell out of them. But for now, let the show truck guys have their fun. Trucks have to have Rice Boys too, I guess...

5. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

There is nothing wrong with show trucks as long as they have enough go to back up the show,hehehehe.I think the recent blazers are a disgrace to the name they carry. They are little plastic toys that cost waaaaaay to much.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I heard that GM is dropping the "Suburban" name as of this year, and replacing it with "YukonXL".........If that's true, the bigwigs at GM should get slapped!! Suburban is synonymous with BIG, tough, and hauling. YukonXL sounds like a new brand of microbrewery beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Got Bush?

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Only GMC Subs will be Yukon XL s, the Chevy's will still be Suburbans, in production since what '35?

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

9. James

James 1/2 ton status

Yes I'm voting for bush too! Cuz we all know 4wheelers --- more bush haha. I think the name changes are due to latest yuppy scumm fad of driving an SUV. More appealing?

10. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Official line is that they are changing the GM name to differentiate between the two, and the Chevy Suburban was first, so it got to keep the name. My question is this, why differentiate? They are exactly the same anyways. The Suburban, the only vehicle in history to be a car and a truck over it's life.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

11. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Worse yet, I hear that eventually the minis will loose the Blazer and Jimmy nameplates for "TrailBlazer and Envoy" (currently top-line trim level options on these trucks. I guess the confusion of what a real Blazer and Jimmy is will be reduced! I can only dream of a new full size sport-ute bearing the original names. Add solid axles, a V8, and a removalble top and I'm there!

12. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

The scout "travelall" is probably about the same size as a suburban of that time. It had 4 doors and was pre blazer.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

it sucks that they had reduce our rig to a car-like vehicle. nowadays you say blazer and everyone thinks of that little plastic thing with four wheels that my 3 year old son beautifully describes as "toy car!"
    it is sad, that people want a car that does everything....this means that us hardcore folk have to accept the compromises. in the old days people bought a truck to...well....truck, and had a second car for the family or whatever. this way comfort wasnt such a big deal so you build heavy duty stuff. now people want to go to work, haul the groceries, kids, look good at the sister-in-laws wedding, impress the boss,....etc. and we lose out on durability and gain cheap plastic.

GM need to build a relativley cheap truck that is pure heavy duty but compact enough where it is not the size of a sub but not the size of the "toy car" either. it should have minimum technology because that stuff is what costs alot, and the price of the vehicle goes up to pay for all the research that was done (it will be also cheaper to fix and modify). it would have to include a removable top, no frills interior (no power windows..i hate them!), a four wheel drive shifter (not a button), solid axles front and rear, throw out areodynamics. then call that a blazer...or jimmy. they would have to rename that "toy car"......well.....toy car.
    just my humble opinion.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

14. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

How about this?

Ok.. Heres a plan.. we all go out to the welder shop, weld up some BIG plow like bumpers, made of STEEL not modern plastic, and have a hay day plowin around the local country club where these people drive supposed SUV's? Or better yet GM's parkin lot

Project Silver Bullet
    http://coolwebworks.com/blazer/12jul991.htm