Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A rare (what I would call) win at Yellowstone - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Panther, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Panther

    Panther 1/2 ton status

    Aug 31, 2000
    Likes Received:
    South Jersey
    I copied this from ARRA's web site. I would consider this solution a good compromise and therefore a win for everyone.

    <font color="green">
    NPS Announces Final Rule for Snowmobiles in Yellowstone

    Following several months of public comment and judicial review, the National Park Service (NPS) issued its final rule for snowmobile access to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. This rule reverses a Clinton-era rule that would have banned all snowmobile access to the park as of this month, and ARRA welcomes this decision.

    Under the new rule, approximately 1,100 snowmobiles and snowcoaches will be allowed to enter the parks each day. All machines entering the parks must meet stringent environmental restrictions on noise and emissions; 80 percent of the machines must be accompanied by a commercial guide and the other 20 percent must be driven by park-certified drivers. Snowmobiles may only use designated routes in the park. Cross-country routes will remain closed to motorized vehicles. The rule takes effect immediately.

    To read the announcement in the Federal Register, click here.
    http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-30755.htm </font>

    <font color="red">UPDATE</font>
    Well, so much for that. Here's more from the ARRA:
    <font color="blue">
    ARRA Condemns Judicial Ban of Snowmobiles for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks

    U.S. Federal District Judge Emmet Sullivan awarded the anti-access community a large victory by overturning the National Park Service’s revised plan to permit snowmobile access to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

    Sullivan’s decision upheld the earlier snowmobile ban proposed during the closing days of the Clinton Administration. Judge Sullivan’s ruling means that for this winter season, a maximum of 493 snowmobiles will be permitted to enter Yellowstone each day and just 50 snowmobiles each day into Grand Teton. Next year, ALL snowmobiles will be BANNED from these parks.

    ARRA believes that this is a most unfortunate decision and a setback for the recreation community. Not only does this court decision limit recreational opportunities in the wintertime in these two important parks, but it will also have a devastating economic impact on those gateway communities adjacent to these National Parks.

    The fight for access to our public lands for recreational use must continue. We cannot underestimate how important or difficult this fight will be in the coming years. The anti-access folks are well financed and organized. ARRA and other pro-access groups must re-double our efforts to ensure the American people will be able to enjoy their public lands during all seasons of the year.


Share This Page