Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A rear Dana 44 (Waggoner)compared to a 10 or 12 bolt Chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 16, 2003.

How does a rear Dana 44 (1983 Waggoner)compared to a 10 or 12 bolt Chevy? I have a friend that wants to put a rear disk set-up on his Yeep and he just bought a pair of Dana 44's fron a 1983 Jepp Waggoner. Anyone know? He was looking at the 10/12 bolt rear disk that A-Tron has and thought it might work. HELP !!

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wagoneer axle swaps into CJ's and Wranglers are fairly popular. There's a lot of folks that know about the Wagoneer stuff at www.cfsja.org That's the web site for the Colorado Full Size Jeep Association. Someone over there probably knows of a rear disc kit for those beasts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dana 44 have same size ring gear as 8.5" gm corp 10 bolts, but 12 bolt truck axles have way smaller pinion stem in which makes me beleive that 12 bolt is technically weaker than both, but not than a 12 bolt car axle. seems that 87 or 88 up 10 bolts are POS ive seen a million blow up but never an older one, and ive seen a million 12 bolt truck axles die too. pinion nut is good for loosening up on the 70s truck 12 bolts for some odd reason, and that= disaster, never seen it happen on a 10 bolt 8.5" or of any other size, or a dana axle either

bottom line: i believe that 10 bolt is comparable to dana 44 but 12 bolt truck axles and the later model 10 bolts have weaker links in their designs

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FYI, I have had 2 1985 10 bolt rears go out on me. First one was a destroyed govlock. The second was a pinion nut that backed off and ruined the R&P. I also know that DesertDueler destroyed his 86 10 bolt rear. Blow spider gears.

As for the question at hand. You might be able to retrofit a 10 bolt disc setup onto a Wagoneer D44. The bolt pattern is the same on both. I had a buddy with a 76 Wagoneer that used my spare tire to get home when I was still 6 lug. So it might be possible, but I don't know the answer for sure.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my 10 bolt blew, the pinoin nut loosened up, and the pinion dug into the carrier, and cracked the carrier bearing off the one side, i think the R&P survived because they are big ol 3.08 gears, but it was gay, the carnage is on my webshots sight. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif