Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A rock in Iowa

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Dec 18, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm told that there is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy. 25 in rural
    Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities
    on this rock, changing it's character many times.

A few months back, the rock received it's latest paint job, and since then
    it has been left completely undisturbed. It's quite an impressive sight.
    Click on the link and check for yourself.

There are multiple photos (all angles) of the rock.
    Hope you enjoy it (if you haven't seen it before) as much as I did.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif click /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Bubba didnt mention a trip to Iowa

[​IMG]

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

That is truely awesome!
    I hope it gets left that way for generations to come! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My hat goes off to the man that painted it, he is a true American! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Very, very AWESOME! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

John

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

OK, I showed this to my father and he went and did some research on this and here is what he sent me.

[ QUOTE ]
    I did a search on the rock pictures you sent and came up with a lot of hits...this seems to have been passed around for some time, but the most interesting thing was this comment ran across:

6 photos of a Painted Rock in Northern Iowa
    The artist is Ray "Bubba" Sorensen II, 24 years old, living in Greenfield IA. He paints something like this every year for Memorial Day! Our country needs millions more young Americans with Ray Sorensen's spirit. I received these from one of my former Cobra pilots in HMA-369, now Col USMC (ret'd). I wanted to thank the artist so I used a little ingenuity and tracked him down in 3 phone calls. I looked up the Ray Sorensen name in Iowa, using switchboard.com and found 3 listings. The 2nd call was his grandmother, a very nice lady. Once I explained my mission, she gave me his parents' home phone, explaining that Bubba was probably not at home right then. When I called anyway, he answered the phone. We had a nice conversation. He was unaware that the photos were on the Internet and probably been sent around the world by now. I thanked him for all of us and told him how much we appreciated his work. He, in turn, thanked me (us) and told me how much he appreciates the vets. OO-ooooo-raaah-hhh!!!!! Semper Fidelis, Ron Osborne

[/ QUOTE ]
    And in case any one in or around the area wants to check it out themselves.
    [ QUOTE ]

the town of Greenfield is located off of interstate 80 just south of exit 86 west of DesMoines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go through there on a regular basis, so next time we're rolling through the area I'm gonna go check it out and hopefully get some pictures of it myself with my kids.

Thanks for sharing this with us! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That is awesome, I really hope that it stays that way /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thats awesome work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that is simply awesome /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

REPOST!
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

J/K.....I posted up that link a while back. It is good that you brought it to everyones attention again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif