Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A sad day for the 1/4 mile track

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kyser_soze, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I just heard this afternoon that the local drag strip has sold out to developers.

This is the place where I leaned to love horsepower and loud motorsports. I can remember NHRA events including the first one I ever seen with Don "The Snake" Prudhomme taking on Tom "the Mongoose" McEwen.

It seemed a slow death after Topeka built their own track,KCIR falling out of big events to just local and small regional events. The big crowds ceased to come out to the now antiquated track.

I remember building up my Mustang and taking it out for "Grudge Night" instead of street racing. Building up my first motor and burning up the track and set after set of new tires.

A sad day for K.C. Missouri. :( and eastern Missouri.

Long live mud pits.

Goodby KCIR.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that sucks, the old detroit dragway was left to die years ago. :( MILAN dragway took over. milan is bigger and has flat track and moto cross racing. i used to race motocross there,but its a long drive.detroit was waaaay closer and had sentimental value.

3. boggerless

also someone stole the christmas tree from the detroit dragway. :rolleyes:

4. kyser_soze

The Grinch :D

5. gauder

gauder Banned

Detroit dragway was nice and close. My dad really misses it because he used to go there back in the sixties, at least we got to go together quite a bit before they closed.

6. boggerless

ah, the good ole days. :D

7. boggerless

8. kyser_soze

Ah, the stories I now can tell, because of the statute of limitations. :whistle:

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The track closing sucks.. I'm kinda lucky, we still have norwalk, dragway 42, thompson, and national trail not far away.

I remember having the snake and mongoose hotwheels as a kid.. my dad took me to an nhra event at dragway 42 ( salem ohio ) and we're walking thru the pits, and there in living color is tom McEwens Mongoose car. ( this was back in the 70's )I ran up to it, shriekeing like a banshee I was so excited... somebody came out of the trailer, handed me a rag, and let me " polish" the wheels on it.

One of the better childhood memories.

Tom

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yea, same here! Shuffletown Dragstrip closed years ago, hoped it would reopen some day. Saw on the news, back in the summer, it's going to be a City Park soon! Sucks!!!

11. boggerless

tell em daddy tell em. :D

12. kyser_soze

............... then there was the time when...............I was riding with a bunch of college buddies up to Lincoln Neb. to go to a party. Wewere smokin and drinkin and we got lost, turned left and drove down the capitol steps at 9:00 on a friday night. Stopped on the first landing, and tossed out about two cases of cans, and then proceeded to drive down 2-3 more, and drove away.

Reckless abandoment of youth. ;)

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I made my first pass down KCIR back in 73. Grudge nights were the best. They used to charge 20 bucks to get in, as many people as you could get in the car. I ran a 196 mph pass there once, scared the hell outta me. One night I dropped a driveshaft in the burnout box. My buddy hauled butt back to the Western Auto on Noland Road and bought me a U joint, which I put in right behind the staging lanes. People wonder why street racing is making a comeback-do the math. Where else are folks gonna go to race? I'm not condoning street racing, but I do understand why it occurs. I had a neighbor growing up in Indep back in the 70s. He grew up in central Kansas back in the 50s. He told me once a month in the summer, the KHP would close down a portion of 2 lane hiway, and let the kids drag race on it. Now that's what I call a positive solution.

14. boggerless

you so crazy. :haha: :haha: i did that too,i swear. :rolleyes: i did jump a car over RR tracks and rent cars just to wreck them and...wait till winter and i'll tell you guys all about my youth. :laugh:

15. boggerless

that is cool,there was a couple cops in linkon park that actually played music on there loud speaker.but someone lost control of the car and hit a few peeps,so they got fired and it all turned nutty.detroit has a history of street racing, it starts now around 2 AM. people trailer there cars in.10 second and less cars run for big money every weekend. :bow: when things get over regulated and over ruled it takes the fun out of it.when i used to race motocross it was fun, now they have 10 classes to race in so it takes 4 hours to get to your next race. :angry1: :angry1: no kidding. it used to be A class,B class(ME), c class.now those are broke down into smaller classes.it's all about money,don't disclude the people that suck if we can charge them money to race also. :mad: :dunno:

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Hey Kyser, you remember when Car Craft came to KC in 79 or 80???? I was pouring oil and bleach on Noland Road, right in front of where Taco Bell and the skating rink used to be. We had prob 100 cars lined up to do burnouts. The Indep cop cars were blocked, so they could not get to us, had to come in on foot. The good old days.

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Closest one to me is scribner, I want to go, never been to a strip, Why arent there more around, doesnt seem like it would take alot to run one. To high of insureance?

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear all three are still open. I used to go to a couple of drag races every summer growing up. That was back when there was the NHRA, AHRA , & IHRA.

Do you remember that old circle track called Cloverleaf Speedway? That was where we usually went. It was very close to our house growing up. I miss that one.

19. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Wow I thought the track in KC was still going strong. :( Didn't the NMRA race there this year? I guess I am lucky Memphis and St Louis are about 2.5 hours away and I have 4 other tracks less than that. 2 of them an hour or less.

20. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

I felt the same way when OCIR closed.(Orange County International Raceway)