Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A sad day...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shawnboy, Dec 14, 2001.

1. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I regret that the product of skinned knuckles, many late nights, a lot of %*#@&<!!!! and a fare amount of coin is no longer amoung the living. We got the first snow of the year, some guy thinks the fast lane is still the fast lane as he bounces off the concrete barrier and ends up sideways in front of me. I'm thinking sucks to be you when I see kids in the back seat at bumper height. I took the ditch. Flipped it 360 degrees up the embankment, landed sideways on all 4s and rolled twice back down the embankment. Wow!!!!! The truck is totalled. You know what really sucks though is the guy doesn't even stop. He kept right on going. That and now I gotta start all over again with what should be a handsome insurance payout. Oh well.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about it! Which was it the 88 or 90? I saw you have two by your profile. Know what...that really sucks! BUT, through all that tossing and turning your alive to build another...say you were in a car or something all that might not have held true... good to see ya here.

Be safe all out there especially for the holidays.

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear about the Blazer. Thank goodness you are ok and alive to tell the tail. It is amazing at this time of year how rush rush people get. Makes you step back and take a minute to reflect. I hope your settlement is enough to buy the totaled blazer and reuse anthing unharmed and buy a another. Then hopefully make it twice as good as the last one.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

man that reaslly does suck! I can't believe how many IDIOTS there are out on our roads today. I get ticked by them all the time.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm really really sorry to hear the bad news. That is probally our worst nightmare around here... for something like that to happen to our Blazers.
    I'm glad to hear that you are okay!
    Hope insurance covers everything... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! for all the money you can get outta the insurance company.. they are going to try and screw you outta some money. Don't settle on lowball $$$ figures they try to give you at first.
    Tell them how much time and money you have into that truck... Reciepts are especially good.
    Good luck dude. Glad to hear your alright after such an accident!

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE!]
    Ryan B.

6. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I definitely want the truck back. It was the '90. 4" lift 33" BFG MT,3.73 Auburn rear/Lokrite front, B&amp;M tranny overhaul, MSD, Skyjacker shocks, etc... Maybe this time i'll buy a southern body and swap everything out. Again.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

The important thing is you're OK. Sorry to hear about the truck. Sounds like she held up pretty good and kept you safe though, and you can't ask for more than that!

I almost got sideswiped in my K5 yesterday by some moron in a Kia with his family in the car. Who in their right mind would merge into a lane containing a bright yellow K5 going 70mph? I had to cut someone else off to prevent making contact with that idiot. At least I signaled and had room... Grrrrr...

You really have to watch people these days when you're on the road. It's sad.

Good luck with the insurance claim. If you had any witnesses, maybe they can back you up if the insurance company gives you any grief.

Drive safe, people.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

8. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

sorry for your loss, your quick thinking and selflessnes may have saved some kids life, too bad the guy was a jerk, i hope all turns out well for you

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

9. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear it man.... if it wasn't for the kids you could have seen if it was monster truck standard, but oh well.... at least your still around to build a new one.... hell just think about all the fun on the new one you can have... all those extras you never added to the last one....

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Wierd..just got cut off by a young puppy in a construction co. van leaving work tonite. Had the 95' Grand Cherokee in full-time 'cuz of the downpouring rain. Missed him by a foot. I think it shows the character of OUR people on here that ya chose the ditch over the moron's kids! You did GOOD!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

11. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

i've got the fix for all k-5'ers .... instead of being on the defense we should go on the offense... check out this video... it takes a little bit to download on a dial up connection but it's well worth it..
    www.angelfire.com/wv2/jackofalltrades/JavelinLiveFireVsT72.mpg

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

12. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

well I tell ya what Shawnboy that was very noble!

those kids are gonna have a much better life because of you, and that is much more important then all the work you got into that thing.

feel good about what you did, and start over... (what a bummer though)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

13. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

p.s. what comes around goes around so you got some pretty good ones coming!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

14. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Oh I imagine I could have done some damage. I went to clean my rig out today and saw it in the daylight. Not as bad as I thought but still a write off. I just hope the insurance guy doesn't screw me around. If I get close to what it's worth I'll be happy. But ya, start over, again! Bummer. I'm just thankful I didn't have my 2 kids and the dog along or I probably wouldn't have been quite as generous.
    Shawnboy.

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you're okay.. Sorry about your K5..
    And Solowookie was right.. you did a Noble thing...
    Show's your a kind and considerate person.. not like the buttsmack driver who cut you off..
    You do have good thing's coming your way.. that's for sure.
    See if you can buy your truck back from the Insurance company and take all your good part's off of it..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

16. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Man, you did the right thing! You are to be congratulated for thinking about a life, over a piece of steel.

Yeah, I know that it's hard to think that way, but you saved the lives of a few kids, that hopefully will grow up "better" than their asswipe father.</font color=blue>

<font color=green>It's a shame about your truck, as I'm sure that if you were half as fond if it, as I am of mine, you've got a real hole in your life, that needs to be refilled.

I have always complained that I cannot get replacement value insurance for my rusting '77, and that if I ever do choose the ditch, it's gonna cost me several years of saving before I could ever think about replacing the beast.</font color=green>

<font color=red>And at Christmas time, with the snow and cold weather, a K5 is just the vehicle to keep you moving in the worst of conditions.

I hope that Santa is EXTRA nice to you, and that the big guy upstairs (no, not the CEO, hehe) rewards your above and beyond deeds with above and beyond returns.

It's damn good people like you that make the off-road, wheelin', rock crawling and daily driver groups a better place to be, with great people, willing to sacrifice their precious pieces of steel, in order to save a human life.
    </font color=red><font color=green>
    Good on'ya Mate (as they say down under) and have a Fantastic Christmas, and an Extra Special New Year.
    </font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

17. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

Shawn,
    glad to here you are ok. Sorry about your truck. I think it is safe to say you cared more for the well being of those kids than the idiot who put HIS own kids into that situation in the first place. VERY NOBLE(as some others have already said).

I feel for ya man.

18. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the condolences. I'll see on Monday how bad the insurance people try to screw me. Iwas going through some vehicle resale prices. My truck fits into the high side on the price scal, approx $9-$11,000 Canadian for a 1990 full size K5 Silverado in mint condition. I looked after this truck looks wise not like my '88. There were no dents, no rust, the under carrage was detailed as was the engine compartment and interior. With a little more work it could have shown.
    Plus I was going over my bills and discovered I've invested $17,835.87 over the last year and a half. I don't know what they will offer me but if it is an insult I will insist that they repair it and I won't sign off on the repairs until it is as it was before the accident. I will become a major PITA if need be.
    I'm going to post some pics soon. You'll see why I want what I want. My '88 is my beater buggy but this '90 was my pride and joy. You are right I'm pissed and the driver of the other car was and still is an a**wipe SMF. Again thankyou all.
    Shawnboy.