Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A scarry thought

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2cocky, Oct 26, 2001.

1. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

I was pulling the rear carpet to get ready for hurculining the interior this morning. When I got to the front drivers seat I pulled off the seat belt mounts so I could remove the side trim panels. Well when I went to remove the bottom attach bolt for the seat belt the whole thing pulled out of the metal!! I am a Firefighter and EMT and the tought of a chunck of rusted metal ripping acrost my adomond when Joe Yuppie in his Excersion pulls out in front of me scares the hell out of me! Any ways I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this. The whole panel where the lower mount attaches is rusted out. Is there a way to repair this area with enuf strength to attach the seat belt to? Or should I just use this as an excuse to get a roll bar installed?
    Sorry for being long winded. Let me know what you guys think.
    Scott

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i would go with the roll bar. as you know it's far safer and it looks soooo cool!! but be sure to fix the rusted area the right way or you will be doing the job all over again in a few years.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Repair the section and then get a roll cage.. The cage is far safer in a roll pluss you can get 5 point harnesses and that you hold you still more in a crash...

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

Ok so I should go with the rollbar after I fix the rust spot. Where can I get a roll bar/cage that allows easy axcess to the back seat? Who makes a good strong cage? and who's is the easyest to install? thanks again

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

5. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

it does sound like a good reason to get a roll cage. my 84 was the same way. i thaught i was being a good masshole always with the belt on. turns out the only thing holding it there was the cardboard carpet backer

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Smittybilt makes a bolt in roll bar, but it bolts to the floor. You would have to make sure the floor is strong and not rusted... You also may want to check with your local fab places about making you one and then tying it into the frame. That would be your best/strongest bet..
    Although you could also go to a auto body shop and see what they would charge for fixin your hole where the seatbelt mounts...

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine was the same way, don't have the time or money to upgrade or fix right now so what I did.... I placed two pieces of plate steal on either side of the floor and bolted the seat belt down their.

I know it's not the correct location but after the wife went on a 16 hour road trip with me and we noticed only the carpet holding the seat belt down I had to do something.

New floors, side panels, and rockers will hopefully go in this winter. Just waiting for possible job change and relocation.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith
    Manchester, MI

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can mount off the roll cage very close to the original seat belt mounts. I did it this way on my 75 since I wanted to get shoulder belts and with a removable hard top there was no upper location to attach the shoulder strap. I have 2 kids and the cross bar needed for 4 or 5 points was going to be an issue getting the kids in the back.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would get a fabbed cage with mounts inside the cage for seats &amp; belts. In my experience, it is better to go all the way with a mod than do only do a bit, half way or the cheap route, and find out later it would have been easier/cheaper/better to do it right the first time (e.g. my driveshafts, rear lift, rear seat, etc.) I have made some questionable repairs &amp; add-ons but nothing is more important that safety. Just MHO.

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I agree. Cage it, tie the cage to the frame and the seats/belts to the cage. Pretty foolproof.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd definitely go cage - Harnesses do bear a safety issue on the street though. In the event of a side impact, there's no way to lean toward the inside and avoid any passenger compartment intrusion.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

If you want to see how I fixed my area, I have pics of it that I just did. Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a> and You'll see how I fixed your exact problem.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Thats a really cool site and a great truck. The only b*tch I have is that maybe you could break down the photo pages because it takes a long time for us with the slow-mo 56k modems.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

14. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks very much for the comment Blazer Boy. I really take pride in my truck and I love hearing people who like it. Sorry about the website being a lot for you to load, so if I just take some pics off the page and move them to my next one, I'll be all set?
    Ben 87 Jimmy