Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A scene from Blackhawk Down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

For those of you that ahev seen the movie:

There's a scene where 2 snipers ask for permission to secure the perimter of one of the crash scenes, eeven though they know they are facing certain death.

I am pretty brave guy, and have stuck my neck out in the name of the greater good more than once. However, I don't know if I could place myself in the Grim Reaper's grasp with no fear. These two snipers did and fought a valiant fight against unsurmountable odds. IMHO, 2 of the greatest men this world has seen.

How many of you miltary brothers out there have been in a serious life and death situation and lived through it?

I would like to profess my utmost respect for the men that have laid their lives on the line in the name of freedom while I've been diggin ditches bacxk home. It really puts things into presepctive, eh?

Sorry for the rambling post.......

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Today I was watching a WTC documentary, saw a bench full of firefightes with their noses bashed in, black eyes, no sleep, cuts bruises........

AND THEY WENT RIGHT BACK TO IT

All hail the true heros of America (and Canada...)

3. Can Can

ONe last comment:

After watching Blackhawk Down for the 2nd time, I have to say that no other movie(even saving Private Ryan) has made me appreciate my life more.

To see men my age and younger die on a political battlefield makes me appreciate my easy way of life that much more.

To those CK5ers who soldier professionally, I offer you a digger's salute. May St. Christopher guide you through your battlefield and watch your back.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

They both recieved the Medal of Honor as well, IIRC. Its been a while since i read the book.

I will always have the utmost respect for those who have volunteered their lives to fight for this country.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

In 15 years of firefighting I've seen pretty unselfish stuff..

I think one of the most unselfish, was a something I read about a while back. One FF was trapped, and the other stayed there trying to free him .. both died. The one that was trying to free the other could have left anytime, and no one would have faulted him... he chose to stay until the bitter end to try and save a brother, probably knowing towards the end that it was going to be in vain. I know at some point he had to think of his wife and kids... but then at times like that you know this guy has the same waiting at home too... so he stayed and tried to achieve a hopeful outcome.

I've done some things that make me realize I could have cuased the death of my kiddos father.. and that's a hard fact to face afterwards.. if you put things like family out of your mind completely, then you're probably a big danger to yourself. But, if you think about it too much... you're tip toe around fires, and that aint worth a crap either. You have to keep the ol scales balanced nearly perfect all the time to be effective .. and even then you can still get munched. Some days you hardly notice the battle going on.. and on some calls you feel both sides crashin together.. in my case I usually "just act" and so far I have been OK. You count your blessings an move on. Luckly, it's not everyday that it comes aorund... but if you work in a busy area like I do, then it comes around more than enough.

But, like the sticker that came in the helmet I wear says, "firefighting is inherently dangerous". :crazy:

6. Can Can

I really hate to minimize thiese soldier's deaths, but I deal with a pretty dangerous product that, gievn the right circumstances, could kill me on any given day. Of course, our company ha checks and balanmces in place to prevent loss of life and property, and I am obligated by law to refuse unsafe work. I would make a very crummy soldier.

Regardless, I wouldn't jump into a ditch full of gas knowin that certaim death was imminent. Those 2 snipers sacrificed themselves- they gave more in 20 minutes than I have so far accomplished in a lifetime.......

So few of us appreciate how good we have it. I, for one, do. Too bad 99% of our society doesn't get it. bLackhawk down should be mandatory viewing for every 14 year old male in North America.........

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

One of your best posts to date, Paul. Makes me think that maybe some civilians do understand. :grin:

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I spent 4 years in the Army on an M1A1 Abrams tank. Depending on what company we were in, tankers would paint a name for thier tank on the main gun barrel to match the company, Name would start with an "A" for Alpha Company, "B" for Bravo etc. I was in Charlie Company. I painted "Carpe Diem" on the barrel of my tank. Aslo, each unit has numbers and an igsignia on the side of the tank to designate battalion, platoon and the specific tank to that platoon. So each tank had a unique marking on the side. Mine had the Carpe Diem on the barrel and 33> on the side. I got out after doing my 4 years in May of '01. Within the year, my old unit was deployed to Iraq. All my buddies and best friends that I had known for the past four years were shipping over there. I was sitting at home one night watching Ted Kopple do his report from Iraq. Behind him in the background was a convoy of tanks rolling by. It was almost more than I could handle when I saw a tank with Carpe Diem on the barrel and 33> on the side roll by. You always here about some Vietnam vet getting emational and loosing touch for a bit at some random thing that he saw, something that provoked a memory fromt his Vietnam days. I always thought that those guys were just mentally not right, or unstable. After seeing my tank with my best buds roll past Ted Kopple in Iraq, my understanding of those Vets changed in an instant. I was so bothered and humbled by that at the time, that I had to turn it off and cry for a bit. I'm teary eyed even thinking about it and typing this now.

Dunno where I was going with that, figured I'd share. Seemed to fit with the thread.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

During the 3.5 years that I was stationed in San Diego, I spent the better part of 2 years in and around Iraq. I'm in the Navy, and the training that I've recieved made me a candidate for being closer to action and firefights then I ever thought possible (I'm being vague on purpose - I don't know who lurks on this board). I've been thinking about what I want to say in reply to this, and I've realized that there is just so much detail to all the stories that I have - I just don't want to go back into it all.

What I did (speaking from a personal standpoint - hundreds of thousands of other men and women are in the same boat that I'm in....no pun intended), I want to put it all behind me and move on. There are things I won't forget, and thats what gets ya. I won't forget how I felt when I learned my best friend/football buddy from HS was killed. I won't forget how it felt to stay awake for days, trying to stay vigilant and alert only to halusinate and see stuff that isn't there. I won't forget how it felt to have 50 cal. flying around me. I won't forget that the terrified look on my face was the last thing my buddy saw after he took a 50 cal. to the chest. I won't forget my real thoughts whenver I called home to my folks and told them everything was ok. I won't forget the joy of learning Sadam had been captured, or the joy of hearing that I was going home and getting shore duty.

I serve my country because I think it's the right thing to do. I'm only doing my 6 six years, and moving on with my life. Hollywood depics the 'war junkie', or 'adrenaline junkie' in Blackhawk Down - in all honesty, the people that do have that mentality are the ones to worry about. They tend to get over-zealous. I don't fear death, I respect it. I will give my life for my country if my Commander in Chief orders it, but I don't want to. I will leave my house, my truck, my dog, my folks, my friends....my life, if I'm ordered to - but I won't like it. I do it because if no one else will, well, someone has to.

And I can't wait until my time is up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  10. Can Can

Sorry, Tim. I know you did some part-time soldiering, but to refer to me as a civilian while insinuating that you are a "real" soldier is ludicrous. You are about as close to being a war hero as I am. Do me a favor and stay out of my threads in the future, please.

11. Zeus33rd

:waytogo::bow:

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe you need to wake up and realize that there is no such thing as "Part-time" soldiering now. I injured myself on active duty and had to get into the IRR involuntarily. I would be glad to go, but I couldn't, and I have to walk with a limp and pain for the rest of my life to remember that, "Part-time" soldiering I did. I don't need your respect, but I don't appreciate you downplaying what I did either, because every time I walk and feel it, it certainly doesn't seem "Part-time" to me.

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Wish we could make that a general rule here for him to stay out of others' threads.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure, just like canmore really stayed out of mine recently. :surepal:

15. Zeus33rd

Did you ask him too?:surepal:

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Repeatedly.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Paul, you've really crossed the line this time. sure, Tim did some "part time" training as you refer to it, and continued to live his normal life in addition to this. i have several other friends who are doing the exact same thing. i'll tell you what, part time or not, once they get across the big pond, its ALL full time. no bull****, just a bunch of soldiers gettin it done. all for what? so sorry asses like yourself can sit here on the internet and bash the way some of them choose to serve.

18. Can Can

So you're comparing yourself to those 2 snipers? What a focking joke. I respect those that wear the uniform- this thread was not about that. I was trying to convey that those 2 men in particular are among the bravest men that ever lived.

To pretend that you are even remotely like them is a farce. Get off your highhorse and take your little lapdog beatoffK20 with you.

BTW......

You are neither a soldier or a professional. Go away and quit looking for sympathy in my posts.

19. Can Can

Thanks very much for taking the time to put your emotions into words for me, brother. I have the utmost respect for guys like you that can go through ordeals like that, put them in the back of thier brain, and carry on as if nothing ever happened.

I hope to God that I never have to see a battlefield, but if I do, I hope I can be as resilient and brave as you were!!!!!:bow: :waytogo:

20. Can Can

Sorry, can't do it. In case you didn't notice, I'm in charge of keeping the riff raff in line in the Lounge. If you choose to post here, expect me to be keeping an eye on you.