Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A series of questions, a la K5 Blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

After installing my lift (4" springs up front, blocks in rear), I have a popping noise when I take off from a stop or during weight transfer during a turn. Has anyone experienced this and maybe lead me in a direction to start looking.
    ........................................................................................................
    Where do most people run their breather hoses for the transmission and differentials? If I extend these high enough, will I be set to hit the creeks as deep as my breather hoses (or air intake) will allow? Do I need to do any other preparations to do some aquatic submersions??
    .........................................................................................................
    I'm planning some custom radio installation work, adding a radio in front of my cup holders. Does anyone have a junk or extra Gray center console (or even just the front half of one)?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I would bet that the popping noise you are hearing is your u-joints being loose. Check them ASAP.

Extending the breather hoses shouldn't change much about whether your rig can ford water or not. Water can get into the diff from all kinds of places and water contamination will wipe out bearings pretty quick. If your diffs become submerged in water either check the fluid for contamination or change the fluid very often.

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

I've got an extra gray console, '81-'91 type, where in Ky are you?

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

x2 on the u-joints.

also, make sure your slip yoke is not binding. it doesn't take much spline wear to allow unwanted motion, and since the lift has pulled it farther out, you now have more force applied to a smaller area. have you checked driveline angles?

on the radio, i assume you want to install the head unit in so that the face is straight up and the cd loads vertically. i know some are made for that, but it's been my personal experience that most don't love that position and will skip easily.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Wow, I actually meant that your u-BOLTS are probably loose.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

i run my tranny breather up and around my brake booster. Im about to lengthen my diff breathers more, fronts will go towards the top of the core support and my rear i will put up into a fender well.

7. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

I'm in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Are you in Plano, Texas?