Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A short maiden voyage!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, May 10, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Took half of yesterday off and got my front shock towers installed and the front shocks installed. Then I proceeded to finish my home built power brake bleeder and bled the brakes. What a simple, cheap tool, and it worked awesome! Flushed all of the old fluid out and it is definitely a one person job using the power bleeder!

Got a little brake fluid on a rim so I figured it would be easiest to fire the truck up and get out of the barn to wash the rim off. I don't have a steering column installed but was able to get out of the barn easy enough. After I got the rim washed off I just had to try to go for a drive.

I got the old column and connected it to the steering box loosely and threw on a spare steering wheel and fired the truck up. I had to drive holding the column up but I was able to drive to the end of the drive and back, probably 1/4 of a mile. I was all smiles.

Found a small leak in the high pressure line going from the steering box to the hydroboost so I got it pulled last night and it is having a new hose installed today.

My oldest daughter asked this morning when I was going to be able to take them to school in the truck - maybe if things go well I can before school is over this year.

A bit more to do but I'm getting so close!

frontshocksmounted07a.jpg

finallydroveit10a.jpg

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    Great stuff!
    Man I am so close to driving mine I can taste it....

What is the info on your homemade bleeder??
    Congrats
    Burt

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OH cool, push that fluid thru.
    I have a hand held pump that pulls the fluid thru. Mighty Vac or something like that. I have had it for some years now. IT seams to work ok but I do have to trim the hose from time to time as it doesn't always seal on the bleeder screw.
    Thanks for the info
    Burt

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Looking great! It's also a great thing when the kids ask to go for a ride. Of all the cars we have, my kids like the rusty old Burb the most. Yep, I'm raisin' em right. :)

Good luck with getting it finished! It would be cool if you could take them to school (maybe on the last day?) in the newly finished rig.