Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A simple recovery gone wrong...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jun 6, 2005.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, my friend decided he wanted to try out his bone stock S10 blazer (unsure of year) offroad. Well we found some mud and quickly found out that....it sucks....alot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, we walked back to my place (it wasn't too far...) and got the big blazer...shoulda just brought it in the first place but o well right?

We show up and bust out the strap

[​IMG]

and I pull him out with one easy yank. Then I go to turn around to get out....this is where it gets hairy and I woulda taken pics but the batts were dead....I find an even swampier part and end up getting stuck as well, I rocked it back and forth until my t-case x-member was dragging !! ;) Thats pretty good for open diffs on 33's. So I figure *maybe* he can pull me out....? :confused: I was WRONG lol, he got stuck backing up to my truck. So we leave then over night and a friend comes the next day with a truck and a long enough strap so we can pull from dry ground. He pulled us both out. The mud had dried enough that in 4-l0 with it pinned, the tires were turning about 3 RPM......stupid 305 with 3.08s and a ****ty low gear.

The aftermath:

his ruts....little weany ruts....
    [​IMG]

my hole!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do ya think? It took me $25 at the car-wash and I still didn't get it all off!

2. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i had that happen to me went to pull out a buddie that was stuck. he told me to try and pull him from the front because some other people got stuck behind him trying to pull him out. So off i go putting around him just as i was almost lined up my front tire fell in a rut that swallowed my 40" superswamper :mad: soon as i felt it drop i pinned it but it was hopless i could move around a bit but i was not getting out :crazy: luckly two of us went to recover him that day and my other pal had winch. The truck that we went for made a good anchor for the snatchblock to get my truck out then we pulled his out :D :laugh:

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Photo #3... Where the strap is looped around the hitch ball...
    That's a deadly projectile just waiting for the right (WRONG) time to fly. Very bad idea...

4. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Yeah, definitely what jarheadK5 said. Read a story on here about 5 or 6 months ago about a jeeper pulling someone else and hooked it to their ball. It hit him in the face I think, but either way I think it was a closed casket. I think it was said they knew better, but got lazy or something. I use to use it too not knowing any better, but thanks to this site, I know only trailers belong on those.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

heh... i got ya beat, 3 bone stock k5's stuck at once :P
    3 K5's stuck in one day

since then I've put some 32" mud tires on mine... don't get stuck nearly as easy now :P

fun times :)

6. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

You got to love when that happens :grin: . Last year I did the same thing in my buddies field... We buried his suburban while going back to the woods... So we walked up to the house and got my truck to pull it out... I drove back there and hooked up to his burb and wound up stuck to the frame too :haha: . So we started thinking what else we had to get us out... I said we can use my wifes S-10 blazer ''yeah right''... We figured a longer strap might help to keep the S-10 on dryer ground which it did ,but it was way to light to pull out a heavy truck stuck to the frame..

Now what do we do you ask ? We get his 30 foot motor home{ :screwy:} figuring with the weight it would work if we kept it on dry groung ''wrong again'' ..Now we have his burb, my truck and a 30 foot motor home burried to the hilt at 3;00 am :haha: . So we give up for the night and he brought a bull dozer home from work the next day and pulled all of them out...

What started out as a simple trip to dump some deer guts in the woods turned in to that... We had fun though so that is all that matters... All except when the wife seen her truck :yikes: and made me clean it :waytogo:

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

When I had my lifted Dodge Ram, I still had the stock 265 70 16s on it and the were ready to be replaced. I went up in the snowy mountains of colorado and went camping with a buddy. No issues wheeling all day long. The next morning, we were heading back and had to cross over a frozen creek. He went to the left of it in his little 2001 S-10 pick up. The only mod on his was a tent that popped up in the back. I figured HEH, I'll just go right over the thing no problem. WRONG. My bald back tires broke through the ice and started spinning while my front tires were just shy of making it over the top edge of the side of the creek. Basicly, I was perfictly in the middle of the creek. No backing up or going forward. AND, my exhaust was smashed on the ice where my back end bottomed out.

Keep in mind, when I did a move in the military I had to take my truck to a weigh station and it was over 6000 lbs.

We strapped a tow line to his truck (which was in the snow) and attached it to the hook on the front of my truck. He started pulling and I hit the gas and flopped around for a while sliding back and forth tearing my exhaust system completely out and BUMP, pulled me right out. That was embarassing and accounted for a little bit when picking my next 36in goodyear mud terrains and later my K5!

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I know about the hitch ball thing but I don't yank at all, just nice easy tension. When we pulled my truck out, we hooked right around the bumper and to the other trucks tow hooks. I know I need to get a shackle or something.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If that's a socket receiver hitch the simplest thing to do is to push the strap's loop into the socket until the hitch pin will slide thru it. Keep this trick in mind when looking at straps as not all of them are doubled over in the loop. The doubling over makes this much easier to do.

If it's not a socket, then pull the ball and get a shackle. Pay attention to the Working Load Limit ("W.L.L.") though.

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I will check if it will fit. I think my strap may be too wide tho. I should buy one of those shackles that plugs into the receiver? Are they safer?

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Tell him to get some REAL truck tires and see how far that little thing will go

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

He want to fix the body up all nice and lower it....??? :confused: Ah well, w/e.

13. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i finally got around to fixing the 4wd in my little s10 blazer. thing went wherever i wanted with the exetion of the deep mud and big ruts. now i just need to get some better tires so i can do more in 2wd.

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

A 4wd???????????????? Idiot...