Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A sluggish, stuck, and knocking motor Mud Bog day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We went out to the Harrington, Wa. Mud Bogs today.

It was my first tow with the new 6.2 Diesel '83 K30. Now, had I known how sluggish and lacking in power 6.2 diesel motors really were, I may not have gotten it. Sure, I got twice as good mileage as my Crew Cab 454... but... Wow. No Power. Gutless. And I complained about the 454 in the crew cab being gutless... but now that I look at it, I can't say that anymore.
    [​IMG]

So, the '84 red/white Blazer I traded for the K30 (mepr's old K5) goes out with us. Dillon (mepr), one of our voluntary pit crew, kinda regretted getting rid of it now seeing it with 3/4 ton axles, a 454, TH400/205 and 6" lift.

Jimmy went with in his '79 K20 with 35's and a rear Detroit, 454/TH350/205.

Travis brought his '84 K5 with a 400+HP 454, 4.88 gears, 700R4/208, on my 36" Hummer tires.

Buckwheat brought his '68 Dodge Shortbed on 36's, 360, Dana 60's, 4.56s, locked in the rear.

Tony was there earlier with his '65 Chevy truck, 396, TH350/205, 4.10s, on 35" Boggers

I ran the '82 Stepside Shortbed, with a 396, SM465/205, Dana 60/14-bolt, Detroits, 4.10s and 35x15.50s in the rear and 36x12.50 Swampers up front.

First rigs to run before our class all got stuck. Jimmy and I got lined up together, and I broke through the furthest run in my lane to over 100ft. It was so thick I ran 4-low and 2nd gear and held it at 6 grand. After my run came Buckwheat and Tony... and Buckwheat stayed in my ruts and broke through to about 135ft. The next truck through was then able to make a full pass.

My 2nd run in the other lane (4-hi and 2nd gear) was a full run, but I still got sucked into a hole at the finish line and got stuck again! So much for being locked front and rear... 2 runs, 2 stucks. Jimmy pulled through the other lane as I sat angled into the hole in my lane.

My 3rd run, there was a rut system and I ran an 8.22 second full run. Kind of pathetic for a built 396 locked front and rear. But at least I made it one of three runs. Of all 5 rigs in our group that came together, we all got stuck two of our runs and made one full run without getting pulled out.

I decided to make a few runs for fun after the races were over... and after 4 runs I hear a noise. Rod bearing are now toast in the Stepside... a 396 with less than 2500 miles on it. Onto the trailer it went, and away we went home... sluggishly behind my Diesel truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have made the decision that the stepside and the 6.2 diesel truck will both get sold eventually. I have too much into both of them to justify adding them to "the Fleet". I miss the days when gas was cheaper, and I used the Crew Cab and took the Truck Blazer places. Today I just felt like I neglected my true "kids" and tried replacing them with "adopted" vehicles I added to the fleet this year.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing wrong with a 6.2, but it's not a tow rig IMO...not without a turbo and a few other upgrades. Mine does fine hauling itself around, certainly no worse than my old 355, but I wouldn't ever consider it a great towing platform.

Rene

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Is this the same motor that got a tear down in the dust at a comp?

I'm sure the diesel addicts will chime in and tell you to drive a "J" code 6.2 before you call them gutless.

Rene, that is your cue. :D :pimp1: :deal:

*Edit*

:haha: :rotfl:

anybody want their palm read? 50 bucks each.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  4. mountainexplorer

No, that was a 454 that lasted a week before rod bearings went out.

This is a 396 that came in the stepside when I bought it, and supposedly had under 2000 miles on a professional rebuild. But I didn't get receipts... though I was able to tell it wasn't some pieced together motor. It ran out great until this, though the cam in it is a bit big (kicks in around 2700rpm and above).

I do like the fact that the 6.2 Diesel used half the fuel of what I'm used to. But I see now that heavy towing isn't a good thing to do with that truck.

This next weekend I'm supposed to be at a mud Bog in north Idaho with the stepside towed by the diesel. So much for that idea.

Maybe I'm just dissapointed with both trucks at the moment.

5. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I absolutely love my 6.2 in my Blazer but I wouldn't consider that engine for towing duties at all without a turbo.

There are a few tricks you can do to your 6.2 to squeeze some more juice out of it but it's always going to be slow. With a 6.2 youll get there... you may be dead last but youll get there eventually.

Man it seems like you have some really crummy luck with engines not holding together.

6. tRustyK5

Why would I tell Allan to try a 'J' code? He already has one...:rolleyes:

My prediction is that you're gonna recomend a killer small block that makes 500 hp, passes smog, is cheap to build and still gets better than stock mileage...:surepal:

Rene

7. mountainexplorer

What designates a "J" code 6.2?

8. tRustyK5

'C' code is 1/2 ton and has an EGR intake which is somewhat restrictive.

'J' code is 3/4 and one ton and has an open intake without an EGR...makes a little more power. Your one ton would be a 'J' code.

Rene

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You took the words right out of my mouth. :waytogo:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

6.2 not a towmotor....

I don't think I'd use my 82 K20 with a 6.2 to tow a big heavy trailer myself..probably wouldn't be any better than my 305 in my 79 C10 as far as power,though the fuel milegae would be a lot greater in the diesel..the 6.2 just isn't a powerhouse for towing..at least not in stock form anyway.

My brother had a 1992 GMC K2500 that had a 6.5 Turbo diesel and the NV4500 tranny--that truck did very well towing,until you hit the mountains in NH on the way to the raceway...then you'd be downshifting and going 55-60 tops uphill!..I can only imagine if I tried using my 6.2 on the same trip,with the same load!--I'd have to leave a day early!.. :doah:

He recently sold that truck,and bought a 2002 GMC with the extended cab,and a shortbed--it has the Duramax diesel...and wow,what a difference!--even in stock form,no "chips" or other add ons,he towed the same car and trailer to the races a few weeks ago--he said on all the hills that his other truck would bog down on,he'd look down at the speedometer,and he was going 75+ :eek1: --and he said it doesn't even feel like your going that fast,nor does the motor show ANY sign of strain!... :laugh:

It has the Allison tranny too...I drove it about 2 weeks ago--VERY impressive torque and acceleration--its a whole different animal than the anemic 6.2-6.5 diesel,that for sure!--and he claims it gets BETTER fuel mileage than his other truck to boot!..If your towing,the Duramax is the GM engine of choice!--(Unless you get a 502 gas motor,and pay for the lower gas mileage)..

Too bad it will probably be 10+ years before I'll be able to afford one!--he paid 22 grand for his 2002!!..A house will be my first priority,THEN a nice truck.. :rolleyes:

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

damn... what ever happened to the sense of humor... i see you got the exagerating part down... :D :waytogo: :whistle: