Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a smack down for gun haters everywhere!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Mar 9, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like an appeals court that has a clue...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_re_us/dc_gun_ban

man, if this went to the Supreme Court and they agreed, it'd be the coolest judicial finding to happen to gun owners in decades.

j

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Interesting. I thought the dissenting judge would have a different stance. It doesn't apply because it isn't a state...which means even if that would hold true, we should be able to keep firearms everywhere else in the country. :D

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So D.C.'s not a state? That would mean people there don't have constitutional rights. I guess it make sense to me.:rolleyes:

4. jekbrown

yeah, it was an odd dissenting opinion. Is that judge saying that the Constitution doesn't apply there at all? I guess black people and women shouldn't be voting there... and no one should be using the 1st Ammendment to speak out (including politicians!). :rolleyes: Kinda hard to understand... AFAIK the Constitution applies to all Americans, not just those outside the DC.

j

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Either way, it's Christmas in March :D !

Funny thing too:
    Do you know who is the governing body for D.C.? Those who write the local laws of D.C. (i.e. speed limits on streets, city garbage collection fee's, etc.)?

The House of Representatives!

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

No we have a real government. The house does not govern DC:rolleyes:

Also, DC is not a state and has NO representaion in congress (yet). Residents of DC also cannot vote either (yet). It is a f'd up situation that a full city of people IN the US cannot be heard or have a say about the same people that live down the street:mad: . That's why I live just inside MD, I can vote.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Oh, O.K.

Being born at U. of Maryland hospital and living in Baltimore (and Norfolk, VA) the first ten years of my life, I guess the school system there taught me wrong then :dunno: .

I was under the impression that they (The House) voted on the local bills because of the unique set up there.

You said yourself D.C. is not a State (it's a District), so they have no State or anything legislative body.

So I ask you, what (or who) governs D.C. Just the Mayor/City Council?

8. jekbrown

if you can't vote in DC... how is the mayor elected?! is there a city council also?

j

9. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Damn, I can't believe I missed that :doah: ! (Think Marion Barry :haha:)

Good point.

10. jekbrown

Marion Berry... good gawd. lol! maybe its a good thing that DC peeps can't vote on much...

I woulda swore that in national elections, DC gets mentioned (meaning voters from DC). ie... "Kerry won 23 states and the District of Columbia... in other news". Anyone else remember hearing things stated that way? someone must be votin'...

j

11. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Yes this is excellent news. Despite the will of the DC government and "aging liberal hippie douches" everywhere, those people actually do have a Bill of Rights and can exercise the right of self defense.

All kidding aside this is actually very promising news for the 2nd Amendment.

12. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

DC has had "self rule" since (I belive) the 70's. If you went to school before that you may be right. DC residents can vote for thier local gov. (city councel) and Mayor, but not for national votes. This, IMO, is why we had a mayor like M. Berry. Anyone with the desire to be heard and make changes lives or moved to MD/VA. Those left in DC (not in all cases) don't care and are not too savy when it comes to elected officals.
    DC may get metioned but that's all, no power. In all, it's still a f'd up situation for the people of this country (all of us) that people born in the US still cannot be heard (vote). I wish more people in this country would speak up about this. (steps off soap box)

13. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Wow ! I never new that about D.C. I always new it was a $h!t hole though :haha: . That is good news for the peeps that live there .