Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A small reminder of our Soldiers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 7, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was reading a few things tonight that utterly disgusted me about Freedom of the Press, then I ran across this.

A nice read. I admit, I got a little teary;

------------------------------------
    (AgapePress) - Rick from Winona, Mississippi, called my state-wide talk radio program this week. Sometimes, you get a phone call that ought to be read in the broader market.
    On the program that day we were discussing the report that some Europeans were disgusted with the Super Bowl commercial of American soldiers getting applause in an airport. The critics thought it too extreme in its patriotism and a possible incitement to further war.

At any rate, Rick (he asked us not to use his full name) called to talk about his experience coming back recently from the fields of war. His words (and they are worth your time reading, only lightly edited):

"I heard you talking about the Super Bowl commercial. I'm a Marine, a re-con Marine. I just got back from overseas, the second week of December, actually. I was injured overseas, so that's why I'm home now.

"But the whole time I was [there, in recovery] we watched the news to see what's going on. And we saw the protests, and we saw what the media was saying about what's going on, and we were worried about what we were actually going to face when we came home. We didn't know what to expect, to be honest with you. From the news media we were seeing, the whole country was basically telling us we're a bunch of jerks.

"I thank God that the troops that are there don't see the news coverage. I thank God every day, because there'd be ten times the number getting killed, just because it would so un-motivate [sic] them.

"Back to the story: there were seven other soldiers that came home with me that day. We flew into JFK, and we were talking on the way back: What's going to happen? What will we be facing? Is it going to be like the Vietnam era, are there going to be people spitting at us?

"We didn't know. We had that much trepidation about it.

"We get into JFK, we step out of the breezeway into the main terminal, and directly in front of us was an elderly gentleman carrying a bag. And he immediately stopped, set his bag down, and the first thing we all thought was, 'Oh, Lord, here we go already.' He just stopped and looked at us for a second, and then tears came to his eyes and he saluted us.

"And -- I'm breaking up now [editor's note: with tears] -- every one of us just started crying like babies. Everybody in the terminal -- I kid you not, at least two to three hundred people -- just started clapping, spontaneously. To me, it was so much worth what we were doing, to realize that people over here actually get what we were doing. We weren't over there because it's fun. We're over there doing a job.

"When I saw the Super Bowl commercial, I just started bawling like a baby again because that was something totally unexpected. We had no idea that people actually appreciated what we're doing, from what we see on the news. We thought we were going to come back and get eggs thrown at us. It was so refreshing to know that what we were seeing on the news is just a bunch of garbage that's being concocted by the media, that 99.9 percent of the country doesn't believe that way.

"I have a couple of more months of recovery. I got hit with a concussion and have some internal damage, but I'm feeling up, doing well, and hopefully I can get back over there with my boys."

It caused some tears in this talk show host's eyes to know there were tears in his. Appreciation, smiles, handclaps -- they can go a long way when a nation is at war, regardless of what the media and some Europeans might think.

------------------------------------

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the euro trash is hopeless. It really is only a matter of time before they revert back to their old ways and want another shot at the title. I say 'bring it on', we kicked europe's ass once before and if they want a repeat performance then thats their problem. semper fi.

good story.

j

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

"Theres only two parts of Europe. The part who's ass we kicked, and the part who's ass we saved.":D

Ratch, nice find:waytogo:

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Great post Ratch. Thank you, and a big salute from me, to all of our Soldiers, Marines, Airman, and Sailors.

:usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

:waytogo:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just read it again, and this stuck out this time:

God Bless the Marines, and all of the boys over there. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That commercial during the SuperBowl really got me... There I was, the only military person (out of 50+) at the party I was at, and I'm the one fighting the hardest to not start bawling.

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is one of the reasons I do not watch the news anymore. Pretty much all I ever see on there is the negativity of what we are doing. Do they bother to show the people of how we are helping them rebuild there country from 30 years of torment and living their lives in fear. You have to have been to a country like this to understand how the people live. They have grown used to this and there is no reason that one person, regardless of age, race religion or sex, have to live in fear of the government of the country they live in.

Rant OFF

Semper Fi.