Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A squirrel got into my clutch bellhousing and.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Dec 30, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

now when I push in the pedal at rest it makes all kinds of scratching and squeeling sounds (most noticable at stop lights when people look over at me) Its fairly intermittant and goes loud to soft, consistant to not too often........also from a stop to a slow roll in first gear does the herky-jerk jarring thing..like an unexperienced driver learning to drive a standard....
    Just a bit frustrated as I just put in this new clutch....3 months ago. Its been through two pretty harsh wheeling trips with me....towed a 5000lb trailer 500miles using engine breaking and gearing to stop at times....
    Am I gonna have to warranty this biotch out already???

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Most likely it's the throw out bearing.

3. BowtieBlazer

I've had a throw out bearing go on me once before but I would describe that as the dying a slow death squirrel squeal every single time you push in the clutch....will the throwout bearing go out in style with a slow squeal like that. I also replaced the fly wheel and all when i did the latest clutch replacement... its a three prong style HD app 12" clutch and flywheel...in front of my 465

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That herky jerky is clutch chatter...I hate clutch chatter and it seems the borg and Beck (3 prong) clutches are worse for that. I've had two in my truck and both chattered from day one. It's such a wonderful job I just learned how to take off without inducing the chatter.

I have a diaphragm clutch now...i can't wait to try it out. Pedal feel is already 100% better.

The squealing would be the throw-out bearing most likely.

Rene

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Hey Josh did you remove the squirrel from the bellhousig
    Maybe the squirrel is making all that moise.. Just kidding
    that just put a smile on my face thanks.
    Bo

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a similar problem with mine, it turned out the clutch disk was wobbling on the input shaft and the springs in the clutch disk were rubbing on the crankshaft bolts.(No I did not have it in backwards!) This was a new Centerforce II clutch setup, with a new Hays flywheel! Centerforce blamed it on the Hays flywheel saying it did not have enough surface material to allow room for their clutch springs. I put a stock clutch in there, no more problems!

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's the problem when you start matching after market parts, each company can blame the other for problems. Either go with a complete setup, or match stock with one company, that way they can only blame themselves for not matching OEM. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So the REAL reason for the bellhousing cover plate was to keep squirrels out eh? No one seems to like the plate for anything else... GM must have been psychic with that one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. BowtieBlazer

doing the dirty work tomorrow...going into it looking for a bad throwout bearing.
    I just got done helping a friend (BayouBlazer88) replace the rear main seal on his 88 tbi with 700 slushbox...so with all this transmission dropping experiences lately I hope to start and finish this job tomorrow.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

While I am in that deep I may back off the bell housing and look around for other parts going bad....pisses me off that I installed this clutch labor day hoping not to go back in for atleast another yr or two...

10. BowtieBlazer

was the throwout bearing indeed....the old one wasn't locked up or metal to metal yet but the inner bearings were broken up....I was suprised it would chatter that much...either way what would cause a new throwout to go out in less than 4 months? I replaced it with a lifetime warranty one from O'reilly 25$ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dyeager535

So you used the bearing as opposed to the bushing eh?

Not saying good or bad either way, although a lot of hardcore wheelers seem to prefer the bushing for dealing with junk getting in there apparently. Squirrel, mud, whats the diff? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You basically just installed the clutch, any problems with the previous one that was similar? Bad input bearing or improperly "indexed" bellhousing could cause your problem. I find it hard to believe that a squirrel did this, but if it started immediately after, it would have to have been an awful coincidence if it *wasn't* solely the squirrel.

12. BowtieBlazer

I thought the whole bearing / bushing thing was a pilot bearing / bushing ordeal

I had no idea there was such a thing as a throwout "bushing"....if this one goes out I'll go after the bushing next...I actually thing I may have set a driveway mechanics record on this one...

started at 12noon had the passenger side seat, tranny hump cover removed, all linkages and wiring on the 208 and 465 disconnected, front / rear driveshafts removed, skidplate removed, crossmember unbolted and tranny backed off of the bell housing and throwout bearing in hand by 1:30....I did all of this disassembling by myself mind you...the asswhoopin to get the tranny back in involved a few friends... I was stoked to get this project done in an afternoon.

Looking at the old clutch and unsure of mileage I could not tell you. I did have to replace the throwout bearing on the old clutch as well about 15,000 miles before swapping in the whole new clutch. when I pulled the old clutch the newest TO Bearing was still in great shape....I will keep the input bearing in mind if this one goes out soon...

Could bad bushings on the clutch pedal and the clutch bobbing up and down while in neutral contribute to this? I've wondered quite often if it could....all linkage is tight, clutch pedal is just loose (I assume bad bushing on the pedal itself)

13. dyeager535

Totally spaced it man, I was thinking pilot bearing/bushing. Throwout bearing wouldn't have issues from what I (stupidly) mentioned. Sorry!

Go for pedal bushings, my dad took a few car pedal assemblies apart (brake pedal) and cut the bushings down. Apparently GM only used bushings on either side of the pedal pivot, instea of using a complete nylon sleeve. Once you cut the "ears" off of the bushings, apparently you can put those in the center to provide more support. Wobbly pedal is annoying for sure.

14. BowtieBlazer

annoying isn't the word for having your foot gently holding the pedal from wobbling on long road trips so you can hear other things....LIKE.....OTHER PARTS MAKING NOISE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif