Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A story about my patrol car with 256,000 on it

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Well, I get this notice on top of the screen that says, I need to post something on the forum, engage in conversation, or risk being mauled by a pack of wild geese. So I decided to to post something, as irrevlant as it may be.

I m currently driving patrol car with 256,000 miles on it, we were told last nite to not be running emergency traffic in it, because the A arm or pitman arm was fixing to fall off, and the mechanic took friday off and didn't fix it. So if we wreck, If I dont get dead I'll never have to work another day in my life.

Of course we dont have to drive to awfull fast, all we do is patrol cemetaries. On 3rd shift we are discouraged from pursuing criminal activity, because are main priority is patrolling cemetaries. We have two, two man units on 3rd shift, and constantly have to radio in what cemetarie we are at. We've not had a problem with criminal activity at these places, old people just want them patrolled. So, all nite long we go from cemetary to cemetary, leaving buisness's unprotected. We keep the dead people safer then the living.

You guys that work in Law Enforcment understand the term proactive, proactive means officers get out and actively look for criminal activity and always try to "get into something." Well, we are at the other end of the spectrum, we are not pro-active, we are Un-active.

Anyways, I got divorced, so I lost my computer. I get to check my email at work when the internet is up, witch isn't very often. So i figured my first post in awhile would be a gripe session about work. :mad:

So anyways, I hope everbody is doin good :D

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what kind of stuff do you run into on a cemetery?

grave robbers? :eek1: :D

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Jeremy..

I am saddened to hear another policeman being treated so poorly... that the county or city puts so much pressure on the chief/sheriff to keep his costs so low that they wont put radiocars on the street...and tell you not to enforce the law... or hunt bad guys
    Any unit with over 100k police miles is worn out... we as coppers know it..doesnt take a mechanic to tell us that,,, they go south of the border to mexico for their fleets. I cant believe you were actually instructed to take a potentially unsafe car,,, DOCUMENT IT...photograph it.. write down what was said,, tape record it... you could end up being the sheriff!!!

It sounds like you dont have a bargaining unit or union.... they wouldnt stand for this....
    If admin is actually stupid enough to tell you NOT to enforce the law it would be on channel 2 film at 11... Id tape record the knucklehead that told me that..... what I would do with it would be another matter,, but I would document it and have it as a gem for the right time and place..
    I might be inclined to drop a dime to a news organization and see if someone might be interested in some investigative reporting...
    I did this several times while I was at a particularly contentious station with some real jerks for supervisors and some really weird "dont enforce that law unwritten policy".... like dont arrest the gayboy mayor when hes trolling the back alleys of santa monica blvd for street hustlers to have sex with... those kind of things...
    After some reporters starting calling downtown and downtown called the station policy came down... do your job,,, of course if you were smart you know who not to make an issue with

I remember the following in my career...

tactographs in the cars as an experiment... getting written up for unauthorized code 3s or speeding
    the tactographs lasted about 3 months after being abused and having coffee poured on them

Saving gas though a walk10program... had to get out of your radiocar 10 minutes every hour engine off and walk ... actually wasnt a bad idea... but requiring cops to do anything is paramount to war

Getting written up for making arrests in L.A. City... like on the other side of the street... that aw **** acidentally fell out of my personnel file one day..opps

Citing anything but serious felons... how the hell to you cite a felony burglar???...

Not arresting contract city staff.... ok so they were paying our salaries... but cant we arrest them too?...

Quotas..... do we have them... you bet... do we publicize them... no way.. its all very subbtle... you have too much log time... your not doing anything,, youre getting written up for basically driving around...
    Ok while this might be acceptable in the ghetto or a contract city.. driving around 3k square miles of desert or canyons like malibu it takes an hour just to get to a call,, and on ems after 2pm there isnt anyone out

Who do you work for?...

LASD continues to hire ... huge hiring push next year I understand... laterals make about 60k and up to start
    1800ADEPUTY

Be safe brother

cam

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stone wreckers..

Up here,some morons think its fun to get wasted in a cemetary,then knock 50 or more 200-300 year old stones over,smashing many of them!..since we are the oldest part of the country,many stones are some of THE first ones in the USA--(the pilgrims landed 20 miles from here!)..we are talking irreplaceable history here--not to mention disrespect for the deceased..

Many stones only have a year and a name,some are not marked at all..and most of the damaged or destroyed ones have no survivors who can pay to have them restored or re-set..why anyone thinks this is "fun" is beyond me..if I saw anyone desacrating a grave or knocking stones over,I'd be tempted to plant THEM under the biggest stone they tipped over or broke..sick bastards.. :angry1:
    go tip a cow if you want to knock something over..

I wish the cops here would catch more of the idiots who do such stupid pranks..and throw the book at them..20 years in the state penn sounds like a good start.. :mad:

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

God forbid if someone ****s with a cemetary around here. I've got a clown locked up for it right now. Dumbass started a riot a couple of nights ago when staff shut down visitation.

I feel for you. It's totally unacceptable for that kind of crap going on. About the worst we get is having to run traffic during harvest because of the 8 trillion complaints on speeding harvest trucks. Of course once we show up, they are nowhere to be seen.

That's the one thing about my boss. He is quirky as all get out and sometimes we wonder WTF he is thinking but...............................

If someone needs the ride, they get it. If someone cops an attitude with us, by God, our enforcement action better equal their attitude. Our maintenance program is the best I have seen, except for when I was with Fresno County, and that's only because they have their own maintenance, whereas most of ours is done at local shops. If our oil isn't changed right at 3000-4000 miles, that can be an ass chewing. If our transmissions are not serviced when they are supposed to be, that's an ass chewing. If we need new tires, we get them. If something is dicked up with our cars, they by God get fixed. My department, hands down, has the best cars in this county. That included highway patrol and their unlimited budgets and that includes the cities with their rides that never see anything over 70-80 except for a couple of times a year.

Something that surprised me the other day is our SGTs have slicktops. I was with them when we got the call about the riot. I was behind one that has an '05 and the other one was behind me in an '04. I have 54K miles on mine right now, it's an '04. I kept up with the '05 and we outran the other slicktop.

Jeremy, you need to get out of Dodge and find a good department. In this day and age of budget cutbacks and rising gas prices, it's hitting all of us. The thing about my department, the boss runs it like a business. He's pretty tight about money and even though we're paying more attention to our patrols, we're still covering our county and we have the money to fix our stuff when it needs fixing. We're the highest paid (outside of the state boys) in this area of OK. The KS cops across the line get more money than we do, but it's Kansas. It's hard finding a department that rocks, but it's a lot better than having to put up with worned out equipment and BS patrol cutbacks.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, i know i need to get out of here. I'm already startin to feel burnt out, and i'm doin my best not to pick up on any bad habits.

I'm not talkin bad about the sheriff or anything, I just have a different mentality about police work then they do. They want to keep the public happy by patrolling what the public wants patrolled and I want to get out and do criminal interdiction. Stop cars, write tickets, etc. And I want to do it in a safe car.

I'd love to go to a dept such as LASD, or Las Vegas Metro, but there is no way I could afford to even get out there, espically for the amount of time it would take for the application process.

I'm driving my Ast Chiefs Car now, we are on different shifts so it works good. It has 150,000 on it, the motor is new, but the rest of the car has that many miles on it.

I guess most rural towns are a few years behind big cities, thats just the way it is I guess. :doah:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If you start thinking seriously about leaving, throw me a PM. Maybe I can throw you an idea or two :D

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Not round these parts...... :D

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Hey bubba ...move over... we need deputies!!!! :D

Jeremy...
    I started my life as a Maryland State trooper... I got tired of snow up the yin yang and traffic accidents in the winter,,, so one day I checked out LASD...
    I flew out...did weekend testing for out of staters... and three months later packed up my jeep...drove across country and started a new life... it was that easy

You can check it out at

www.lasd.org

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, the only time they do see those speeds are when they are backing us up..............................

Now for ****ed up PD administration blurb of the day. Last week, one of the local guys that responded to our little party backed out and into the speaker box outside the sally port. Bent some sheet metal, took out the taillight, not to mention the damage to the box. Taillight is still busted and they are making him continue driving the car. I asked him today if he was stopping anyone for equipment violations, he told me he wasn't even driving it on the streets unless he had a call....................... :eek1:

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Actually, I'm not recruiting for us; we have a full staff right now. The SO across the state line was who I was thinking of. They seem to be pretty good, from what I have seen, pretty good equipment and an office that is flat awesome. They are paid about a dollar an hour more than we are (I get $14.10 an hour) which is pretty good for the area and they have a lot of stuff going on. Something like their ****heads raise hell down here and our ****heads raise hell up there; but they have more ****heads and not all of them come down here................... :D

12. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. Reading this would give a better insight as into why I'm no longer the Police. :crazy: