Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Strange Occurence At A Railroad Crossing Tonight

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mosesburb, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was taking a shortcut back to the terminal after dropping a trailer out in Gilbert. I had just gotten my junk up to speed when I started hearing bells ringing. What the hell are all these bells?? Oh sheit--they probably go along with the flashing lights on that railroad crossing I am rapidly approaching!! So I get all over the brakes and manage to reel it in with plenty of time to spare. So I look around and see a west-bound freighter rolling up slow. The trains usually run fairly slow through this area as they cross several streets in a short distance. Seeing this I decide I'll be here for awhile so I pop the brakes, hit the flashers, dump the air out of the seat and settle in for a lengthy train watching session. I see the train coming to a stop about fifty feet from the crossing. I figured he must be going to back up onto a siding to hook some cars (not uncommon--alot of industry in the area), but no. Next thing I know, the train is stopped, the crossing gates go up, the lights stop flashing and the train sounds its horn a few times. I figure oooookay, and proceed to release the brakes, mash it into gear and head across the tracks. I pull the string on the horn a few times and wave as I clear the first set of tracks and before I clear the second set the crossing gates are coming down with lights-a-flashing and the train is proceeding. What the hell just happened?? I just got yielded to by a TRAIN!! I, nor any of the old-fockers back at the terminal, had ever heard of a train yielding to a vehicle (lots of other interesting train stories, but none relating to the yielding of a train to a vehicle).

I thought it was just a little too odd not to share.:thinking:

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Send em a nice card, that is a great trouble for them for a small kindness

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

What company you working for?

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thats awesome! way cool :laugh:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do ya have a CK-5 sticker on ya rig? :laugh:

They always yield to mine! :rolleyes:

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What kind of rig are you driving? I can get a truck into high range before I reach the parking lot at the shop...maybe about 6 truck lengths?

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yup, i can get a rig into high range pretty quick too, well, actually the first shift after take-off :D

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Silver84k5--What company you working for?
    ABF

dontoe--Do ya have a CK-5 sticker on ya rig?
    Nope, company truck and not my assigned tractor.

89GMCSuburban--What kind of rig are you driving?
    Mack CH600 Older unit with a mechanical pump on it. I like the mechanical units because the power comes on much harder (less smooth) than the new electronic units (except for a few Sterling line tractors with twin turbo Cat motors in them, hoo them are fun!!).

89GMCSuburban--I can get a truck into high range before I reach the parking lot at the shop...maybe about 6 truck lengths?
    Yeah when I run bobtail, I usually start out in fifth, which makes high range one quick click away. I was in eighth rolling on the throttle when I started hearing bells. When I'm pulling a trailer/trailers, I usually start out in third to go easy on the clutch. Once in a great while when pulling heavy doubles second is more appropriate. One day last week, I was dispatched to Wal-Mart DC with a set of doubles with only about 24k on them, plus about another 15,6K for the trailers themselves and around 1k for the gear for about 41k(ish) gross combined, but my tractor for the day was a little International with--get this--a DT466E in it. I laughingly made a comment to another guy who was in operations at the same time that I would be going nowhere quickly. I did not realize at the time this was foreshadowing the very near future. I merged into traffic on the freeway at about 31-32 mph (making lots of friends doing so). I JUST got up to 55mph (about a mile after entering the freeway) and I hear this whoosh sound. What the hell was that?!? I look in the mirror but couldn't even see the marker lights on the rear box because of the smoke. I filled the entire trench that the freeway is in with smoke (ten lanes worth of freeway in the trench). Nasty black oil running down the outside of the stack. Same nasty oil all over the front of the lead box. Hmmm, this is not good. I never heard the end result, but the only thing that fits the symptoms is a nicely popped turbo. I wanted to try something, so I fired it up while I was waiting for the tow rig to arrive and I had about a ten inch diameter plume of smoke coming out of about a four inch stack. I got hooked back to the shop and grabbed a Mack and had no problems pulling it after that. Hmmmm.

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Right on... Im a forklift jockey for Roadway ;P

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The uncle drives a tanker truck for a local oil distributor (Duncan Oil Co., based in Murphy). Only kind of tractors they use are Macks. Go figure. Drives the thing with a lead foot too.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Heh, you don't have any more problems cause you're driving a REAL truck! Round the shop, those IH are known as Intertrashionals. I work at a Freightliner dealer so I see that fun stuff all day.

You really want fun? Try a Sterling day cab with a 13 speed and a 470 horse Series 60! :eek1: The only driving experience with an ACERT Cat I've had is a Columbia 112 single axle with a C13. Thing couldn't pick it up like that Sterling....but then again, it was a 250hp C13.....