Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A tough career decision :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So I got an interesting email yesterday. I've got the opportunity of a lifetime, to do something that very few individuals can get selected for. I would still need to go thorugh the application process, but the neat thing is the person in charge of the applications emailed me directly (without me contacting them), giving me the opportunity to apply.

The work itself wouldn't be that great, in terms of the actual work I'd be doing. But the prestige far outweighs that. The only thing that has me wondering what to do, is the application itself and I would have to re-enlist for at least 5 years.

I really can't say exactly what this job is... but I've got two words for those who are in the know: "Yankee White"

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You know, if it's what I think it is just from what I found on the 'Net, here's what you do.....................................

Sit down with your other half and have a long, heartfelt discussion about it. Make sure the both of you are on the same page relationship wise. I would imagine lots of hours and lots of travel??????????????

Otherwise, fill that app and let 'em tear ya apart. By the way, if it's what I think it is, I sure as hell wouldn't dare trying to go there a few years ago:haha:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

BRB is right on. If Heather is good with it, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wow dude, thats pretty cool, i have nothing to add for advice, BRB pretty much nailed it

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know what you are refering to.
    I have a former Shipmate of mine who did that type of duty for a few years.
    I doubt it was the same position you would hold. Do you do COMMS for the Chair Farce:haha: ...............sorry had to throw that in there........

He always said it was the best duty he could ever ask for, but that he lost touch with the way things were in the "REAL" navy. Said it was a little hard to adjust beck to reality.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

shipmate:rolleyes:

:D

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You know you love it when someone uses a term that has morphed into a derogatory statement.......

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If personal privacy is not a high priority you'll do well.

9. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

That sounds like a really cool offer, Especially since the're calling you. BRB said all that you need to do, remember family first, then nation.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

one one want to decode it for the dumb canadian?

11. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

"YANKEE WHITE" huh? :D

that's pretty cool.

Get me an autograph will ya?

12. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

wikipedia says its the security check for those who work directly with the President. And since he's USAF it probably means he would work on the set of airplanes known as Air Force 1.

Jagged if you want it go for it if Heather's cool with it, don't forget family. My great uncle flew Nixon around way back when...
    George

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Congrad's! That is a great to be contacted for such a post! It would look great on any Job application that req. security clearence... What an honor... I agree talk to your family and give it your best shot...

14. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

One word of warning - living inside or anywhere near the beltway is mucho expensive! Make sure on post housing is in the contract from day one - no waiting list, no "Contract Housing" or any such. EVERYTHING is spendy - insurance food etc but if you have a close BX and Commisary it's OK. Also, uniform costs will be very high as you will need full mess and lots of A's for daily wear.

THe duty WILL rock though!

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I used to live in Northern VA... I know all about the area :)

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

so which way you leaning?

17. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I think that you should at least apply for the job. If you get it then I need to figure out where I want to get my Bachelor's degree from and your goal of finishing college gets put on hold.

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We use to have a part-timer in the yard that did that. He said it was a Blast.

And I can't complain about Andrews, thats how I met my wife. I came up to visit my Brother who at the time was the XO for 1st Helo and ran into her.

I say go fer it since they called you. There are worse ways to kill off 3 or 4 years.

I had 2 unsolicited job offers when I was debating getting out of the Corps or re-upping, one at Gitmo and one at Tonapah or how ever you spell it. I don't regret turning down Gitmo, but I wish Id taken the other