Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A-TRON disk brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Apr 10, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was looking at disk brake kit for the 10/12BOLT and for $185 + callipers it dosent sound like a bad deal, But I want to know if anyone has this set up, has any pictures of the kit, and they say it comes with two new modified rotors what happens when you need new rotors?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

"What happens when you need new rotors?"

Easy, give Bill or Sean a call and get some new ones again.

BTW, it takes a long time to wear rotors out providing you give them the proper care.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

especially on the back. Your front rotors should wear out faster then the rears. That is the way it is with the disk drum setups.

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I saw your post, and yes I run the setup. I have one of the first 12 bolt kits they put out. I love it. Was a very easy straightforward installation. Very easy. I put it on in about 2 hours. I run a doubler and 4:10 gears, and a custom touqure conver 500 rpm stall in mine. Had to convert. The drums in the rear would not stop the doubler in double low gear.

The installation is easy and the kit they now offer come with rotor and calipers etc... I got the kit when it did not come as a kit and it was a real pain, but easy to run down all the parts. The kit is the way to go...

Sean and Bill are the easiest to deal with and their stuff is top notch.

Let me know if you have any questions.

therobzilla

5. Hossbaby50

Hey Rob, tell me more about this custom torque converter. You run a 500 rpm stall? What are the advantages and disadvantages to running this low of a stall? I don't mean to hijack the post but this is very interesting.

Harley

6. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let me know what kind of pics you would like to see and I will try to post them for you. As for the rotors, as Rob said just give us a call.

[ QUOTE ]
    and the kit they now offer come with rotor and calipers etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify that the kit comes with the brackets, harware, and modifed rotors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

A-tron makes good products. I have installed their 14 FF kit along with their brake line kit. All top notch stuff. The only thing you might have to do is grind on the calipers or brackets a little as tolerances vary.

Dan

8. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

When you put disc brakes on are you still able to run 15" rims? Would you need to grind them like you would when you run 15" rims on a Dana 60 front?

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont believe you need to grind the rear calipers. I know I had alot of room left between the caliper and rim on my 14ff.

10. 45acpJr

If you run 15" wheels you might have to do some grinding. It depends on your back spacing, I believe if you have 2.5" or less you won't have to grind the calipers.

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you put disc brakes on are you still able to run 15" rims? Would you need to grind them like you would when you run 15" rims on a Dana 60 front?

[/ QUOTE ]

with a 15" wheel and 3 1/2 back spacing i had to do some grinding on a setup i installed.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Do you adjust or mess with the portioning valve at all. Seems I remember someone saying that when you go 4 wheel disc you plumb the fronts straight from the master cylinder and run the rears through a summit or jegs performance adjustable portioning valve. What's the scoop there?

13. 45acpJr

The product review on the front page of CK5 gives detailed instructions concerning the plumbing.

14. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Here is the scoop on the 500 RPM converter. Got it a Roadrunner Converters here in Phoenix. Cost about 80.00 beans. Took about 1 day to provide from Roadruner.

Advantages: Don't have to rev the motor up to 1200 to 1500 rpms to engage the converter. Last summer I tacoed a trannie due to heat and lack of doubler on really tough trail runs. The converter locks up at idle. Makes for crawling really nice. My TPI's touqure cure starts around 600 rps thru around 1500 rpms, this is where my motor gets and produces all it's toqure. With a stock converter, it takes a while to lock up the converter. with the custom converter, once I shift it into gear it's moving. Awesome on the trail, never a need to power brake the trans to get in the power curve. Easy mod for hardcore trail running. It prevents the power braking issue.

Disadvantage: Around town. When you come to a stop light, it wont stop, have to pop out of gear, so you don't have to live on the brake pedal. On the trail in double low gears, it's ugly as far as brakes are concerned. If you want to go slower than the gears and doubler offer the brakes don't do $hit to stop a TPI with a doubler and a custom stall 500 rpm converter. I even have disc all the way around, and they don't stop the beast much at all in the super crawl gears. It does run a little hotter when you are on the trail hitting it hard during climbs because the convert does not slip. It only runs hot here in the summer. Winter it seems to work fine.

Overall opinion: In my book it's worth it. I like to have the converter locking up in my power range, I don't like to run super low gears in high rpm ranges, so as far as the trail is concerned it't the $hit. But running it on the road is a real pain. Overall I will continue to run the setup.

Hope this helps.

therobzilla

15. Hossbaby50

Very cool. Thanks for the info Rob. I think I will have to run that style setup on my next truck on the AZ rocks. I might also look into a lower stall 1000rpm converter or something like that for my current rig. Kind of a half and half. Should help keep my trucks converter locked in 3rd & 4th on the mountain hills, and also on trails, but still possibly have some braking without having to pop it out of gear. Thanks again Rob.

Harley