Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A-Tron; More Quality Parts/Work... A Dodge Dana 60 Front Solution!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

With the growing price and shrinking supply of GM Dana 60's, many GM enthusiasts are turning to Dodge for the answer; the Mopar fellas seem to have put more Dana 60 front axles in their rigs, and the supply of them is heartier than the GM. What good does this do the GM fullsize wheeler? The Dodge 60 front shares many of the same major dimensions and parts as the GM 60. The Dodge axle is roughly 2" narrower, and when bolted into a GM truck this equalizes the track width front to rear (at ~67.5"). The only problem when installing the Dodge 60 is the spring perches. The spring perches on the Dodge 60 are roughly .5" wider than GM's. Moving the perches is not really an option for most, as the passenger side spring pad is cast into the differential housing. There are ways to get around this, the primary being just prying the front springs apart to 'make 'em fit'. Enter A-Tron. The Arizona based company who has been producing top-notch GM truck parts came to the rescue! I sent an email to Sean at A-Tron, expressing my concern about the spring perch differences, and we brainstormed some remedies. I recalled a conversation with mj about maybe machining aftermarket bushings to move the spring pad mounting width out .5". This can be done with aftermarket springs on a GM, as the aftermarket pieces are 2.5" wide versus the 3" wide stockers. The difference in width is taken up by the bushing outer on each side. This also allows wheelers to use the Dodge spring plates that came with their 60, rather than try and round up scarce and often costly GM spring plates.

I ran this idea by Sean, and he was all for it. I ordered up a new set of Skyjacker bushings for my springs, and shipped them off to A-Tron for machining. Here is what A-Tron did:

Here are the bushings as I recieved them from A-Tron

[​IMG]

Here are the individual pieces. The difference between the machined half of the bushing (bottom) and the unmachined half (top) are clearly visible. The white piece is the spacer to be placed on the outside of the thicker bushing to move the assembly outward. The inner spacer is constructed of a material similar to plastic or polyurethane, yet far more durable; UHMW.
    [​IMG]

Another of the pieces.
    [​IMG]

Here is how the kit will fit together, with the machined bushing on the outside of the spring, and the thicker bushing and spacer on the inside of the eye, thereby moving the spring outward the necessary .25" per side to match up with the Dodge perches.

[​IMG]

Additionally, A-Tron machined the ID of the bushings to accept a greaseable bolt and sleeve.

[​IMG]

I have to commend A-Tron on the quality of work that went into these, and on their willingness to help. Sean listened to what I needed, and we together came up with a great solution (although I stole the idea from mj /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I could not have asked for better service; to top it off, the turnaround was 1 week from the day I sent out the bushings to the day I got them back. Now that, my friends, is first rate service!!

The bushings have not yet been installed and run yet, but I will update with how well they work as soon as possible. I would like to thank A-Tron and Sean again for the great service, product, and work quality that I have recieved!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FYI, the material we used was UHMW

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Now that's what I call Built Not Bought!!!! Nice bit of work, good idea MJ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how much for a set?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Very nice!!

Rene

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

At first when I read the thread title, I was assuming you had Sean machine you some zero-rates with the bottom holes offset 1/4" off to each side to compensate for the Dodge D60's.

Needless to say, I was amazed at the bushing idea and the work they do does not surprise me at all. Very top notch and excellent craftsmanship goes into everything that comes out of A-Tron!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how much for a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Tron is doing it for $60, you supply the bushings.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At first when I read the thread title, I was assuming you had Sean machine you some zero-rates with the bottom holes offset 1/4" off to each side to compensate for the Dodge D60's.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had actually considered that initially, but thought this might be easier and more cost effective. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 45acpJr

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that was the first idea we talked about, I think MJ's bushing idea was better, simplicity is always the best route.

11. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Hey man those look sweet but they are going to look better when they are under my rig! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can't wait to see the installed pics

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

oh 'mister hilift installer' changing his tune? LOL

14. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is slick! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    can't wait to see the installed pics

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the idea!!!

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I just hope it works out.
    I never really decided if it was snag-free, it just seems the path of least resistance.
    Could you please PM or email me a link to the install thread when you get one going.
    good choice of shop to do the deed.

17. 45acpJr

Tim,

Any word on these bushings? Did it work? Let us know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Everything is hanging out in my garage.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It refuses to install itself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I thought A-Tron could do anything....sheesh. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. 45acpJr

I forgot to include motivation when I packaged it? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If you payed for the $50.00 upgrade we would have included a mechanic in the box *patent pending* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

SO, Do you still have to grind the dodge calipers to fit a 15" rim?
    Does the Gm brakes still mount up , brake lines?
    What are the differences besides spring perch?
    Driveline and ujoints still the same?
    And what are these dodge D60's found in?
    Just courious?