Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a-tron shims... ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 29, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I am doing the echobit flip with the 57's...
    I have drilled my springs and moved the bolt back 1.5 inches...

Now I need shims.. so I need to know, in your experience what ones you best think fit my application /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I currently have a 74 k5, with 6 inch springs in front and blocks in the rear... going to echo 57's... have a th400/NP203 combo... with teh 14 bolt FF... I want to move my axle back with the block as well as get an additional lift of 1 to 2 inches out of it... what ever I need to make it even/level... I be;ieve my spring pack is 2.5 inches thick... and I know rene (TrustyK5) has 4 degree shims with a 4 inch lift.. so I'm guessing 5 degrees for me??? and how far back do i want to move the axle... this truck is being built to me flexy so 1 or 1.5... how much does it affect the driveshaft length by moving it back that extra 1/2 inch over the 1 inch...

What do you gue's recommend... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're almost at your limit for moving the axle back with the relocated holes. Any farther back (no matter which method you use) and the old holes will be outside the U-bolts and the springs will crack at the hole. you should have mentioned you wanted to run the A-tron block at the outset, you could have avoided drilling altogether and not had the vulnerability of the second hole to deal with...

Shim angle needs to be found out, not guessed at. The length of driveshaft, drop of the T-case, lift height as well as a few hundred other variables mean that no two trucks are the same. Just because a particular shim worked for me doesn't mean that info can be reliably extrapolated to find what works for your truck. It's just not that simple.

Rene

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

So shouold I break out the angle finder thingy I have somewhere and measure teh angle the driveline is at now and measure teh angle the pinion is at on the 14 bolt....

What will determine the best angle.. the problem is is that it's not installed yet so I cant get the exact angle I need to best perform... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You say since I already drilled the packs that I cant move it back.. ok what if I get the blocks drilled out to move it 1.5 back and didnt move it back but put both bolts in the spring pack into the block, on the a-tron website it shows a few holes in the block... is that possible, or did I just shoot myself completely in the foot at moving the axle back any... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Use your new center bolt location and the center hole on the A-tron block. I would do my angle finding first and order the A-tron block with the angle you need...saves having to have a shim./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

For driveline angle according to the theory you want to equalize the operating angles of both U-joints and keep them under the max working angle. On my truck I inadvertantly broke those rules and have no vibes so I'm not about to change it. I have a standard 1350/1350 shaft, fixed yoke at the T-case, no CV or anything. I have my pinion pointed at the T-case and then down about 2 degrees from that. According to the theory i should have vibes...but it's smooth as glass up to 80 MPH (fastest I've gone since the 4.56's went in)

Disclaimer: What works for me is not the be all and end all of angle finding...take the time to do some searching and reading and decide what's best for you.

Rene

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I pointed my pinion at the tcase and dropped the tcaseand have had no vibes... hmmm..

I'll have to do some searching..

But I know I'll get the add a leaf wthout the moving the axle holes then.. so i just need to figure out the angle and I'm set... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif