Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A true miracle indeed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Jun 22, 2001
    I worked a double shift today, 6-2 then 3-10. I came home for that hour because I needed to change shirts since I was working in a different department for the second part. At 2:55, I decided I better get to work so I hopped in the Jeep and took off... Part way there, the temperature gauge flew up past the high mark...

I pulled over as soon as I could and stood there on the side of the road drinking a Gatorade and watching the smoke coming off my engine. I wasn't going to crawl around on the pavement when it was 90 degrees and I was in my clean work clothes... So I waited till the smoke stopped and stupidly decided to keep going taking it easy. If I could just make it to Little America I could have the mechanic take a look at it while I worked.

I stayed off the main roads as much as I could, but there's a stretch of about two miles where the only option I have is going down the highway... So I get to where the speed limit goes up, but my Jeep won't accelerate. Now I'M the idiot I complain about going 30 mph down the highway... By now there were some crazy sounds coming from the engine when I'd hit the gas pedal... So I pulled into a truck stop parking lot and stalled on the way in... I called at about 3:30 to say I'd be late getting to work, and after a few minutes the engine started again...

So I limped the next mile to L.A. doing about 20 mph the whole way... It died again as I turned into the parking lot, so I coasted as close as I could to the garage, which was about 30 yards, but I got it to start again and pulled it in...

6 hours later when I went down there and talked to the mechanic, he said I didn't ruin anything. Here I was thinking I would need a new engine and I wouldn't be able to afford it and I'd be the guy driving a piece of junk car and paying $270 a month for a car that just sits in the driveway useless... All it needed was a new lower radiator hose, and for it to be installed properly... Whoever did the cooling system work on that Jeep before I bought it did one hell of a hack job according to me and all three mechanics who have pretty much replaced all of the hoses I had that just popped off randomly. The smoke wasn't even really smoke, just steam from the coolant getting on the block and evaporating...

$81.33 and I'm good as new.

I for one am amazed. :eek1: :bow: :D
  2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

Nov 25, 2005
    yep couldve been alot worse if you kept going...my teahcer sold a car to someone and it was over heating but the person kept driving..he ruined the block and melted the heater core..first time my teacher said he saw anythin like that