Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A true spray in bedliner you can do yourself... not herculiner stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, May 29, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

While researching bedliners I discovered that most if not all factory spray in companies wont sell you their product for home install... they cite lack of training as one of the main reasons but they all seem to want to sell you a dealership... in talking with them most want a minimum of 2500 up front ..usually much higher...
    while wandering around the ethernet I found this company who seems more than wlling to sell you what you need for whatever you want http://www.rattleguard.com/colors.html
    they are listed on ebay,,, I have some color chips of their stuff and it looks as good as the other big names. Does anyone have any experience with their products over time?
    I also found a professional bedliner forum and it was very revealing about the problems spraying liners and the differences between the products of some of the companies.
    My concern is U V protection as I want to spray exterior panels as well.....
    cam

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I have not used it but I have heard good things from two people who have used it. Both said it sprayed on very easy. As with anything, it sounds like the prep work is the key. One guy laid cut out flames in the bed of his truck and then sprayed over and it looked very good. His only problem was that he had bare metal that wasn't primed and shortly after spraying the liner on it, he could see rust residue coming through the liner material - someone mentioned he should have primed the metal than scuffed it, then sprayed. For the price you can get it on e-bay looks like a great alternative if you are willing to do the necessary prep work.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifvery interesting.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Looks interisting! I have been looking for something that would be as good as rino but be able to do at home. I already have 3 trucks I want to do and have a few friends that might want it as well.

Do you have a link to the forums you were talking about?

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

While at Space Age (Paint Store) talking with them about POR-15, they told me that some people are using it instead of Herculiner stuff with good reviews.... I have not seen it or tried it yet.... Thinking about doing it to my Trailer (home made from a 80 Chevy bed).

6. camiswelding

Re the forums... I did a google search on bedliner material suppliers and one company came up in the search that had a link to a forum... I dont have it now... let me see if I can find it again
    cam

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Most of Your automotive paint stores will carry the coating in diffent size containers and will also have the guns to spray it. I know they carry it at My local store with a couple diffrent color and brand choices.

8. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

A while back I did kind of a group buy with the Rattleguard supplier in Houston. Some of my coworkers and friends bought it. I've heard nothing but good reviews, and one of my friends was even looking into becoming an installer/local supplier for them. There were a couple of people here that expressed interest, and I gave them my name as a reference and the vendors phone number, but I don't know if any of them actually went through with it. At the time, I think I was paying $100 per kit, plus $10 per each kit for different colors. I think the gun was like $20.

9. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The rattleguard was discussed over at 67-72chevytrucks by member Shane but the board was changed a while back and the ability to search old posts was lost. PM him and he can give you some good input. A member over at myoldtruck.com, XXL is the one who sprayed and had some rust specks show up.

10. camiswelding

thanks for the input... I think Im going to give it a shot.. Ill talk to the company at length with questions and ask them for some customers who would be willing to talk to me...
    I have all the equipment and a good place to shoot... the thought of paying the local coaters 500 plus for a coating doesnt quite sit right with me...
    cam