Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A twist on welding a 14b FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> KidJethro, yet another great CK5 member, welded up the spiders for my 14b FF over the weekend. The spiders are welded to both the cross shaft and the side gears. This should take care of that pesky little cracking problem that Rene had, eh? Doesn't get any closer to a true mini spool than this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I shall call it - The Jethro-locker...

[​IMG]
    </font color>

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i thought u were just supposed to weld the spiders themselves, not weld them all together. correct me if im wrong, but isnt that what they did in the write up?? just curious. looks pretty cool though. id like to, but dont really wanna put more wear on the new tires than i hafta

NITRO

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That is what was done in the article, but Rene (tRustyk5) had some issues with cracking teeth off of the side gears after putting 25,000 miles on his welded rear. I had KidJethro do it this way to try to alleiviate that problem. Welded solid they should never have an issue with wear, since there is no play at all. </font color>

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Looks Good.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That looks pretty solid, I still need to pull mine out and inspect it. might as well weld it up fully while it is out.
    I put over a 100 miles a day on it.

6. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

looks like it was mig welded. what wire you guys use? I think jethro-lok sounds snappier... oops! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I mean better /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif n-e-way looks good!

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Jethro Locker... Hmmmm I like it. Jethro Engineering... Yea thats the ticket ! Di-cut stickers that read Jethro Equiped

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LOL.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

looks pretty good.what did he weld it with?keep us informed on how this works.hell of a lot cheaper than a detroit.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll see if I can get Joe to post in here with the details... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

From lizard - </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think jethro-lok sounds snappier... oops!

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">
    What are you saying? maybe I'm reading into the comment too much, but it sounds like you have concerns about the strength? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I welded it with a Lincoln Power MIG 200 running Hobart .035 ER70S-6 wire with 75/25 Co2/Argon mix gas. Everything went fairly smooth. Hehe, The only "truoble" I had was, When I got the thing on the bench, the first thing I did was pull it all apart to look at it....The spiders that Evan, (Shaggy) sent were already welded per the tech article and had been run that way, So I wanted to see what they looked like cause I have my 14 bolt welded per the article. I shoulda left it alone and tacked everything together as it sat in the carrier....I spent a good 10-15 minutes getting everything too fit back together. lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Not counting the re-fitting part, I think it only took like half an hour. Pretty simple thing really. It was alittle tricky welding the spiders to the cross shaft, The nozzle on the welder wouldn't really fit in there really good. Tight fit. But everything turned out good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    By the way...lol, I like the idea of the die cut "Jethro Built" stickers. LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like the idea of the die cut "Jethro Built" stickers.

[/ QUOTE ] Me tooo thought it was funny as **** .....Maybe even a doll errr uhhh I mean action figure with the jethro camel toe..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah the whole "jethro built" "jethro lok" sounds awesome!

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

How about a Jethro bobble head doll?/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Rene

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How about a Jethro bobble head doll?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! That might be an interesting thing to try....My melon is pretty frickin big, You'd have to have heavily reinforced doll to make it work..LMAO! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif