Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A unique tire question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Sep 19, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Basically I'd like my truck to ride on some 44's (more likely 39.5 boggers or 42" TSL's), but I'm concerned with the dirt road drivability. I do some high speed desert blasting from time to time, and I don't know how a huge bias tire like that is going to react. Anyone have any experience with large tires at speed? Or should I stick to a radial (i.e. 37-38" SSR or TSL radials) if I plan to go in the desert? Ride height into consideration, it will be the same 6ish inch lift height in any case. I just want to know how those big tires will act.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Unsprung weight is a big deal at high speed, I'd say keep the tires down in size if you want to go fast. The 44s will be a huge strain on the suspension and steering if you're really going to be blasting at high speed. </font color>

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I was going around 80-85 on my 39.5" TSL's the other day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . They felt better than my 35's at high speeds.

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I don't necessiarly mean rough baja pre-runner type stuff, but definitly quite a bit of broadsliding. Too some extent I would think a 42" tire would suck up some pretty gnarly stuff, not like 33's I'm running on now.