Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Very Bad Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jan 19, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A few weeks back I got a bad ticking noise coming under the truck. I suspected a bad flex plate and to my surprise I found all of the tanny mounting bolts were missing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif(typical of my truck) Anyway once I replaced them all with lock washers and locktight the noise went away.
    Now my truck makes a noise I've never heard before. It drives normally but as soon as I step on gas a little bit it makes a grating noise that will eventually go away. Kind of like a tray full of gravel being shaken from side to side. It started making this noise after I replaced my carb with an Edelbrock so I had to redo the detent cable adjustments. I was able to smooth out the shifting by throwing a little slack into the cable. It didn't make this noise til afterwards. But I climbed under truck and was able to duplicate the noise just by revving the motor up really quick and sharp. It's coming right from the flexplate T/C area. So I think I can rule out the tranny being bad. Anyone have a better idea as to what or why????

2. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem to this and found that the flexplate was rubbing on the transmission inspection cover. I have a turbo 400 transmission and the inspection cover that hides the torque converter and flexplate was coming into contact with the flexplate. Whenever I would get on the gas real hard or pulling up a hill I would hear the noise. My solution was to remove the inspection cover all together which also helps to relieve some of the heat that comes off the torque converter. I have not had any problem with mud or dirt getting in this area so far. Be sure that your torque converter bolts and flexplate bolts are tight.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention that I removed the cover when I replaced all of the bolts, so it isn't a factor. But it makes that noise. Almost like the flex plate is going eliptical and rubbing on the top of the bell housing. Don't have a good flashlight.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

On a sidenote. Will the cooling lines and filler tube from a 700r4 work on a 350 tranny? I have a line a running 350.

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I have a built up 400 sm block and I had a similar problem which was caused by a cracked flex plate which I guess happens alot with 400's.