Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A war about OIL???? You're kidding.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A war about OIL???? You\'re kidding.......

I've been reading through a bunch of the pro-war/anti-war posts and I can't help but giggle at all the references to how this is a war about oil.

NEWS FLASH......

Our society is so dependant on oil it's sick. Do you realize how many products would not be available if oil disappeared? Do you know how expensive a lot of things things would get if oil jumped to $50 a barrel?

All you guys who are angry because oil always seems to be in the equation in your foreign policies should sell your trucks and quit being hypocrites. Big old 8 MPG rigs need lots of gas, which I'm sure you guys know is the main component of crude oil. I'm sure you also know that the asphalt that covers the roads you drive on is made with oil.

I found a site that shows the breakdown of a barrel of oil. It also lists off the day-to-day products that are indirectly/directly made from crude oil.

Go here : Crude Oil Info

It looks to me like oil is pretty important to all of us. So if taking out a scumbag dictator gives us access to more oil, good for us.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: A war about OIL???? You\'re kidding.......

I'm a supporter of war and a terrorist... cuz I wear glasses, play volleyball and basketball, wear makeup, sneakers and panty hose, draw with crayons, use ink in my printer and in pens, have tires and a two car bodies, dhew lots of gum, paint my house, own a few phones, clean with ammonia, use tape, have many purses, a life jacket for my canoe, wear deodorant, fertilize my lawn and plants, have tires all over the place and comb my hair... I'm wondering how many tree hugger SUV haiting idiots realize oil makes more then just gas? Not enough apparently... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I can't help but giggle at all the references to how this is a war about oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cracks me up, too.

Along with the MANY other reasons against the silly idea that this "WAR" is about oil is the simple economic fact that it would be a whole lot cheaper to just buy the oil from them in the first place rather than spend time, $$$ and possibly lives to carry out a war where winning gives us the right to buy oil.

WAR PROTESTER:
    [​IMG]

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Hey! If it's a war about oil then all I want is to be notified that this is our agenda. I don't want the people to be mislead by using some bunch of crap about hiding weapons of mass destruction in order to gain support of this war. If we're gonna murder a bunch of people in the name of oil then so be it! Don't try to make it smell a little nicer by perfuming it with some sort of misleading statement like "We're doing it to save his people".

5. Can Can

I'm not saying it's strictly about oil- I'm saying that if we end up getting a bunch of free oil out of the deal it's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.

6. landsmasher

Well it didn't do us much good in Kuwait. Gas is still too high IMO. You'd think that because we went over there and saved their sorry arses that they would have been thankfull enough to give us a break. But then again maybe the high prices are due to our own oil people and not them. Who knows? My head hurts now...

7. Can Can

SHITE!!! You think gas prices are too high and you're in CA. Imagine how us Albertans feel- a large percentage of the available oil in North America is within our borders. Same with Natural Gas. By rights we should be paying about 25 cents a litre and 50 cents a gigajoule respectively. Unfortunately, 80 percent of our oil and gas goes to foreign markets(read: USA) who are willing to pay top dollar for the product and subsidize our pipeline systems to get it there. That means that locals end up paying the market rate for something produced and refined in their own area. The beauty of Free Trade, eh?/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll tell you why natural gas prices are high, though. I'm in the industry so I understand it a little bit more than the average guy. Due to de-regulation, no single company can legally be involved in more than one aspect of of production/dleivery. In the old days, one company could pull the product from the ground, refine it, move it from place to place(transmission), and deliver it to customers(distribution). With the advent of de-regulation(which in THEORY is supposed to encourage competition, and as a result, lower prices), each step has to be done by different companies. The outcome? Each company takes a cut, which inflates the price by the time it gets to the customer. Isn't progress wonderful?

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

gigajoule

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has a measurement called this should have to pay more simply for this reason... :rainbow: /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Can Can

Although I agree it sounds silly, your natural gas consumption in CA is measured in gigajoules as well. And as far as I know, the input of every gas appliance is measured in BTU's(British Thermal Units). Keep in mind that every industry has it's own wierd measurement terms.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I found a link that better describes exactly what a gigajoule is - Click here

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

landsmasher, as much as i agree with your comment, the governemnt can't do this. Too many people would be opposed so they would need a "legitimate" reason. Also, you think they are technologically advanced by the stuff you see on discovery or what you read in popular sciecne? if we know that stuff im sure they already have stuff thats 10x as advnaced and calssified, of course.

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I hear you on the Alberta oil prices. What are they now? They were just over $0.70 a liter when I was there at Christmas. Funny to fill up here in the US and have the gas cheaper even after conversion.

At the risk of sounding like a pig .. here's my plan to reduce oil consumption: No more bras and save 80% of pantyhose oil input by making them all fishnets.

12. Can Can

Gas is between 67 and 73 cents in Southern Alberta, depending on where you are. Lucky for me I'm in the 73 cent/litre zone/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

No more bras and save 80% of pantyhose oil input by making them all fishnets.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've heard that there is alot of oil in Alaska and a lot of oil in Texas etc.

But anyway, if it's about oil, say that it's about oil.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Oil is acually cheap!!
    Its all the *!!$# TAXES that the Govt puts on it that runs the cost up. 60-85 cents a gal or more depending where you live, all goes to Uncle Sam and state/local gvts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

15. landsmasher

Canmore, ya I've been listening to that one for years now. Not only from my Canadian friends but my Europian friends also. Don't have a clue why the prices are so high in those regions of the world. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Yup, lots of oil in Alaska - ANWR.

I wish we placed as great a value on freedom and national security as we do caribou.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif