Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a way to get the tranny off the truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Feb 17, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok I heard that there was a such thing called a tranny jack and yet I heard that there is no such thing. So is there or isn't there a tranny jack. If there is about how much do they cost??

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah, theres two basic types of them, theres the tall stand up ones for when you have vehicle up on a rack, they are hydraulic and pneumatic combination, usually two stage cylinder, i use this design tranny jack alot over at stepdads garage-

and then you have the rolling floor style ones for when you can only jack up vehicle onto stands, and there are also tranny cradles you can get for floor jack, prices vary, try harbor freight tools site and other similar searches on google.com

good luck

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Why not just use a floor jack?????? Not too hard to it with one.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why not just use a floor jack?????? Not too hard to it with one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I've had the trannys in and out of my vehicles about 6 times. It's not TOO hard, but a tranny jack sure would make it easier.
    I swear next time i'm doing one, i am buying a transmission jack. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'll have to get some digital pics of my tranny jack, I believe it was homemade by a local oil company. I got it off of a friend's dad, and this thing is sweet. I'll see what I can do for pics in the next few days

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Here's a floor jack adapter for $50 at Harbor Freight trans jack or just type in transmission on their search..there are a few others

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The adapters for a floor jack will work if your jack will reach the tranny. I just rented a tranny jack, was really worth it and my truck is stock height (1 ton springs). Plus the real tranny jacks have a lot of adjustment for tilt F-R and side-side. Really, how often will you use it.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif74

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

the problem w/ alot of tranny jacks is that the tranny sitting on the jack is usually quite a bit too tall to roll out from under the frame rail (depending on how tall your truck is...), so you have to get the truck up in the air some to get it to roll out.

9. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

I will only luse a few times until I really get into the truck stuff. But the adapter sounds like it might be a better idea right now. I think I could make one of them so I will save a few bucks. Thanx for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just used that one to put in my SM465/NP205.

It was a royal pain in the arse to get everything under the framerail of a stock height truck. We ended up putting the Tranny through with an engine hoist before putting in the engine.

Other than the height, it worked great. I took all the adapters off and just bolted the flat plate there to the crossmember and it was smooooth sailing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (at least for the jack)

-Ben

11. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

here's the one I got... 40 after shipping... and it worked great!
    jack adapter

12. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

See I don't think I will have very much trouble, because I have a 3" lift in it.

13. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I did mine with a floor jack that had a 21 inch lift. I placed a 3/4 inch board on top of the floor jack and center the tranny on top of the board. It was amazingly easy to do it like this, the lift actually but the tranny at the right angle. This works well with the tranny alone, but if your going to try the tranny and the t-case still bolted together it probably won't work well. My advice would be to use the floorjack and wood for the tranny and put the t-case in by hand. You can lift the t-case off your chest and into position. i have a 208 with an aluminum case so thats how I did it. I think the heavier cases like a 205 are probably only 20 or 30 pounds more if that much. Anyways thats how I did it and it wasn't that bad. the t-case is kinda difficult, but the tranny was easy. the tranny takes about three guy to have enough hand for everything and to be safe. If you've got excess friend but not cash I would go this way. I used the floor jack with on a 86 k5 with stock suspension and 33's and it had plenty of lift to get the tranny up there. The bottom of my tranny is probably about 15 inches from the ground. So i jack with less lift would probably work as well. If it doesn't work it was still free if you already have a jack. If not it a wise investment. Hope this helps. I wrestled with these options then to and decide to go the cheap way and it turned out easy and cheap.