Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A welding greenhorn completes his first project (pic)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Texas76, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Texas76

Texas76 Registered Member

This is the first thing that I have ever built by myself using a welder. It's amazing how well black paint hides ugly welds (thank goodness[​IMG]). I built the bumper and the tire carrier with about $60 worth of materials (some were given to me for free). Anyway, I had to share it with someone (my wife wasn't as excited about it as I was). [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still need to modify the jerry can holder (make a basket of sorts) to hold it better.
    Ryan

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

looks pretty sweet. is that a hi-lift jack?
    funny how wives don't appreciate something like that.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Texas76

Thanks! Yes, that is a 48" High-lift. It's sitting a a piece of 1/2" plate. I drilled a hole through the plate so that I could put a 1/2" hitch pin through the foot of the jack and the plate.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Great Job dude!!!!![​IMG]
    That is very similar to what I will build!
    What did you use for a piviot for the gate to swing open??

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks great you did a hell of a job congrats

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

6. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> Looks great man!!![​IMG] That is very similar to what im looking at doing, and ive still got to plan and draw everything up (im using the fact i have a drafting class to get there early to draw my bumpers to scale before building) and ill probably start either this weekend or next. Awesome, makes me wanna crank up the welder right now!!!![​IMG]

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

7. Texas76

Thanks Burt4X4. First, I use some 2X6 for the bumper itself. At the point for the pivot, I cut a 1" hole on the top side and a 3/4" hole on the bottom side. I put a 10" long piece of 1" rod through the bumper where I cut the holes and welded it on top and bottom. I then used 1" I.D. pipe on the carrier with a 3/8" thick cap welded on top with a grease zerk theaded in the top (after I pounded the pipe down over the rod). There is no slack in the pivot point and it opens smoothly. I can also grease it to keep it in good working order.

Ryan

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Looks really good!
    How did you mount it to the truck?
    How did you mount the shackles to it?
    Do you have any plans? Do you have any more pictures? I'm interested in the swivel thing on it the tire carrier. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Very nice! I like the way you built it to hold the jack like that.
    Why is it that wives/girlfriends are never as excited as we are about things like this? I built a really sweet cargo rack with off-road lights and everything for my truck. I was so excited about it and all she said was "are you gonna keep it on there all the time?" Now she just calls it my orange crate. At least all my wheeling buddies give me good comments on it!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

10. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

Great job!!!! I love when people make something themselves instead of plopping down a few Franklins.[​IMG] I too have had g/f's that could care less about my success at making stuff or reinventing the wheel because I'm too cheap to buy it, and most importantly, "I can build it better"[​IMG] Women think the time would be better spent cuddeling, mowing the yard, or giving her a foot massage...BLAH!!!! Sparks, fire, hammers, thats what men crave!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Anywhay great job!!! Good to see the right license plate on your truck!!!
    Eddie

11. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

Sweet bumper! What part of Texas are you in, i'd love to take a close look at that.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

12. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Thats a nice simple design. I dont want to sound negative but I thought I should just bring this up. You mentioned that this was a first welding project. I assume you welded your shackles on, In order for them to be functional you must have a real good weld (I have the same ones on my truck) I dont know what process you used to put this together (mig tig arc etc) but I hope you at least arc or better yet tig the shackles on. I used 7013 rod which is very strong for these applications 6013 would probably be fine. A "mud rod" like 6011 would not be a good choice for such a high stress area. AgainI'm sorry if I am sounding negaitve about your welds. I have just seen too many towhooks shackles etc go flying though the air, windshield, radiator.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

13. Texas76

Luke - Because this was my first project, I asked lots of questions before I began. I found out that because the D-rings were cast-iron, that I would have to heat them up real good with a torch before I could weld them (otherwise the weld could crack). Then, using an arc welder, I first made 4 passes with a 6011 rod for good penetration. Then I made 2 passes with a 7018 rod for good tensile strength. I followed the same procedure for the receiver hitch as well (except I didn't need to heat it up with a torch before welding).
    The bumper itself is bolted (using grade 8 hardware) to the frame.
    Dragworm - I live in Lubbock.
    Other pictures can be seen on my website <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tiehh.ttu.edu/rbounds>http://www.tiehh.ttu.edu/rbounds</A> then click on the "GMC Jimmy" link. I've got a few before and after pictures of my blazer showing it's transformation.

Ryan

14. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Tex -OK That sounds just fine, Just making sure you dint try to tack them on with a mig or some crazy glue or something else weird. Where did you get your shackles. I went with northern ones. They are forged steel so there are no problems with cast crack.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

15. Texas76

I got them at a place called "J&B Trailers and Equipment Inc.". They are a local trailer manufacturer and parts supplier. They were the only local place I found that had the size that I wanted. I'm also going to put some on my front bumper when I make it (hope to start next week).

16. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

With the ARC welding sticks, the numbers on them, is the higher the number the stronger they are or what? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

17. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey sweet looking bumper. I lived in lubbock from '96 till '99. Still got a few wheeling buds up there. We met up at the Canadian River last weekend. I'll give ya a shout when I get up that way again. Later.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!