Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A whole bunch of random questions.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by novicek5er, Dec 19, 2000.

1. novicek5er

novicek5er Registered Member

Ok I gotta bunch of odd Questions to ask you guys, bear in mind that I'm new at this :) I have a stock 84 K5

1. How do I replace the windsheild gasket? where can I get a gasket? DO I need a special tool?

2. I need to tow a car(mustang on a 20' flatbed) a distance of about 400 miles round trip. A friend of mine said to make sure that the tranny doesn't overheat and to get a cooler. How do I install a cooler? Which cooler is the Best? I saw one at Pep Boys, it was a HAyden are those any good? Any other tips for towing?

3. How do install door weatherstripping, and where can I get it??

4. There is fluid coming out of the back of the transfer case where the driveshaft goes in? I'm guessing that there is a seal there. How do I replace it? It is stock transfer case.

5. my speedo is off about 7-10 mph(ex: it says 60, I;m realy going 70ish) Same friend said that there is a gear that I have to fix or something. How do I do that? Is there a kit?

6. The windsheild washer doesn't work. How do I replace the existing pump with a new one?

7. My friend said that my engine is running to "rich" because the spark plugs are blacken and they have only been on the vehicle for about 2 months. What the heck does that mean and how do I fix the problem?

8. How do I replace the fan belts(they look worn and cracked in a couple of places)?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions

2. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

sounds like u have a whole bunch of similar probs as most of us k-5 owners. my spedometer is off pretty bad too because of the 33s i have on there thats what i figure. so far i havent found any kits to fix that. i just got behind a friend of mine and called him up on the cb and told him to go a certain speed and i just remembered how fast i was going. but theres one wierd thing 15=5 25=15 35=25 all the way up in multiples of 10 and once i reach 70 the speedo stops at around 52-55 it bounces a whole lot so i cant really tell the exact speed but i just dont let it bother me and invested in a radar detector :)

3. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

You should be able to order your weatherstripping and gaskets from LMC truck or Year One. As for replacing them, its not hard at all...We just did the windshield in our truck, didn't need any special tools, but you can buy one that helps put the sealing pipeing back in the windshield. I would only suggest doing the windshield when it gets warmer, otherwise it is a pain the in the butt to get sealed back in! The windshield washer pump is broken or just doesnt work? It may have a blown fuse or bad connection. You should just be able to unhook the one thats on there and replace it. As for fan belts, shouldn't have a problem with them either, just make sure you get the right replacements for your engine. Sorry, can't help with the other stuff, still learning myself, but hope I gave you a little bit of useful info.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

4. undertow

undertow Registered Member

2) Trany cooler is pretty easy. Trany fluid normal goes fron trany to pump, then to torque converter. All you do it take ATF line from pump to trany cooler, then to the converter. The cooler usually sit in front of you radiator. I like B&M trany coolers, but there are others out there.

.undertow.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another thing to add about towing: If you have a 700r4(overdrive tranny), DON'T tow in overdrive!!!! You'll fry the tranny in a heartbeat.

When your motor is running "rich", it means that you have too much gas going into your carb. Your exhaust will smell "gassy" and you'll probably find soot inside your exhaust tips. There's a lot of different things that can make a carb rich- wrong setting of the mixture screws, choke that won't let off, etc.... Is the truck hard to start? Does the exhaust blow black smoke?

The fan belts aren't too hard- basically all you have to do is loosen a few bolts here and there to allow the accessory to pivot to allow the belt to be removed. The alternator belt is the easiest. The power steering and air conditioner belts are a little trickier- the main pulley might have to come off which involves removing the fan shroud and fan. Someone else out there probably has a trick that makes the job a lot easier.

Keep the questions coming..........we'll try to help out as much as we can!!!!! Welcome aboard!!!!!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For the windsheild gasket with your limited knowledge I would hit the local windsheild place and have them do it. that way if the windsheild gets busted they buy it you don't. alternative 2...get comprehensive insurance wait 6 months and bounce a rock off it :) When you make the appointment for a new windsheild make sure they have the gasket in stock.
    I run the Hayden stack plate in both my K5's. They are VERY close to the B&M and about $20 cheaper. Go for it. It has instalation instructions.
    Weather strip for door. See if you have a Auto paint supply store in your town (yellow pages). Most carry weather stripping. That stuff is cheap. pull up the threshold plate and how to do it will become clear. Cut it long and work the extra length around. The stuff shrinks after a while and that way you won't have a gap in a year.
    Rich problem. Go buy local parts store and buy the book "Rochester tunning" (I think thats correct name) and read it. It explains how to control the mixture far better than we could explain here in 20 posts.
    Windsheild washer. Forget fixing the old one if it isn't a blown Fuse or a bad hose. Most auto parts stores sell a cheap electric pump for $10 and a lot less hassle. On the windsheild wiper motor you will see the place the hoses go in. right below that is a plug with 2 wires. thats the leads for the pump. One is positive and one is negative. will run the cheap pump fine off the stock switch. the pump will have instructions on how to run the hoses.
    Fan belts. While your at the parts store getting the pump and Rochester book and belts get the repair manual for your truck. it explains how to tension the belts. It will also tell you how to replace the winsheild. Rock is a lot easier.
    Welcome to the obsession.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I recommend that the first thing you do is order the catalog from http://www.cheyennepickup.com and http://lmctruck.com. Just the diagrams in those catalogs will help you fix lots of stuff. These places carry everything for your Blazer. From weatherstripping to the wipers.

1) You might want to search ebay. I found a windshield gasket there for about $10.

4) I recommend you click on SEARCH above and search for old posts. I know someone described the job as simple a while ago.

5) There is a small gear on your transfer case right were your speedo cable connects. There are shops that carry different sizes for different gear ratios & tire sizes.

6) In one of the catalogs I mentioned above you'll find a pump repair kit. If it's too bad, they also sell the pump only without the wiper motor.

7) Your engine needs fuel and air in order to work. But these two elements need to be in the right ratio. The ideal is 14.7 parts of air for 1 part of gas. When there's more air than this figure, you say it's "lean" if there's more gas, you say it's "rich".

Basically, if it's rich only when it's idling, you turn two screws in front of the carb clockwise in small increments until you notice a slight increase in RPMs. Counterclocwise will make it richer. This only tunes the idle system of the carb.

If it's too rich only on higher rpms, then you need to change jets (small openings through which gas passes) to smaller ones or rods (metal rods that vary the amount of fuel passing through the jets).

8) If your blazer is the same as mine, it uses three belts. Each one is loosened by loosening the bolt that holds the accesory (alt, steering pump, etc) and then sliding that accesory towards the engine. You don't need to remove the accesories. Once they are loose, remove the belts. Installation is exactly the reverse process.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Where exactly is the washer motor, I cant seem to find it on my 1990. Mine works only sometimes.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

On my 73, the washerpump is in the engine compartment, on the firewall, on the driver's side. It is physically connected to the wiper blade motor.
    -- Mike

10. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

On my 88 the pump is located on the back of the fluid container. It was really easy to change.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The fluid coming our of the t-case usually means the slip yoke is too far out, i think. you may need to lower the case. If your speedo is off and you have an '89 or older, then the gear is in a cable on the transfer case. If you have a '90 or newer, its a bunch of expensive, computer crap, so I would just know how much its off by and adjust my speed.

90K5

12. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Running Rich, If you plan on keeping the carb getting a book is going to be the best thing to do as someone above suggested. Since just adjusting the carb as someone else suggested may not work. Mine runs rich and it wouldn't adjust at all once I moved up here to idaho I was under the hood checking something one morning right after I started it up and noticed the throttle body on my carb was frozen, it's sucking air throught the middle area somewhere (not the gasket under carb tried that first) so only way going to fix my rich running is to rebuild the carb and make sure it's not warped. I have the HPBooks book on rebuilding Rochester Quadrajets. It's a great book and has a lot of good info on rebuilding and modifying rochester carbs for on and offroad. Title is "Rochester Carburetors" By Doug Roe HPBOOKS-014

Vincent Michels 1978 Blazer
    Http://www.bruiser.coloradok5.com

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

On the rich part. Have you by chance checked your air filter? If its all black and clogged, this would cause teh richness. Check it first before you go and buy all this other stuff. Always try to keep it simple first.
    Alot of things on the big babies, seem to be more complicated than they really are.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com