Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a whole new dash

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pilgrim, Dec 2, 2001.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

it appears to me that the sheet metal under the dash pad is bolted UNDER the windshield , i want to remove this so it will be easier for me to rewire my truck and to make a better dash. has anyone attemped this ? did you have to take out the windshield ?

85 sub / 350 rebuilt / 14bolt ff ,w-detroit/ dana 60 w-posi / sm 465 / np 205 / 6" lift / 38.5 swamper sx / 10000 ramsey / custom tailgate

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had my 82 stripped down to bare dash support with the windshield out...most of the support is just bolted, but along the lower edge of the windshield it is spot welded. I never removed it though. Quite honestly I think a complete rewire would be easier with the support left in...the only reason I could think of to remove it would be to swap in another support to mask a swapped VIN tag.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'm not rewiring all, but I've dealt with most of the wires under the dash and I wouldn't think it necessary to remove the metal support. Take out the radio, glove box, heater distributor and there's plenty of room tho a little cramped on the driver's side, I think you're looking at more work than needed if you pull the support.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Rene is right about the lip below the windshield being spotwelded. I removed my complete dash with the windshield in. I just cut the metal along the defroster vents(with a 4" cutoff tool)....leaving the vents and about a 3/4" strip of metal. This is very helpful if you plan to fasten your new dash to something. I have pics of mine here: www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm