Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A whole new world of rust in the project truck! update 5/10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 7, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

First a big thanks to jac6695 because he's bringing me a new core support /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

But I torched the bolts off and went to put in the 1.5" body lift to check my bumper gap and this happened when I tryed to seperate the body mount from the rusty core support
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif WHAT THE /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Crazy stuff this rust!

[​IMG]

Anyhow I have a post in the wanted but I thought I'd share a pic to surely make some people cring /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Just got back from meeting up with James and Wayne on their way through Indiana to Ill. and picked up the new core support!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So tomorrow I'm going to wire brush it, rattle can on some rust proofing paint (maybe weld in a couple pieces of angle for rock gaurds) and see about getting it put in.

KennyW is sending me some free - Rust free bushing cups for under the core support also /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: A whole new world of rust in the project truck!

If all works out I'll be with him when he drops off the support. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif He said monday morning so maybe we can have breakfast and shoot the sh!t! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    There's one of those 24 hr breakfast/lunch/dinner places on the left side of the road there at the plainfeild exit, brick building with green awenings I think, benigans? If you guys have time.

AAAAAHHHHH, you happen to have any of these mounts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    He's already gone on the road I'm sure /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

sigh, been there, done that. And I enjoyed it so moch (NOT!) that I went and bought another rust bucket K5. See me when you've replaced fenders, hood, inner fenders, core support, quarter panels, and whole rear floor wheelwells and tailpan, front floors, and every body to frame mount /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif...then we'll talk. That is some impressive rot on that core support though. I'm impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my 84 wasn't that bad but it was rusted out under there. Luckily my 85 is clean there, very happy about that. Bushings could be better but hey if the metal they mount to is good its easy to replace them. how much did you pay for that thing? just curious, every picture it looks like a scary thing I wouldn't have bought. Actually it looks like my bosses 84 Jimmy, and yeah I wouldn't buy that thing on a dare, not even for a trail rig.

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    sigh, been there, done that. And I enjoyed it so moch (NOT!) that I went and bought another rust bucket K5. See me when you've replaced fenders, hood, inner fenders, core support, quarter panels, and whole rear floor wheelwells and tailpan, front floors, and every body to frame mount /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif...then we'll talk. That is some impressive rot on that core support though. I'm impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I've been there done that TWICE!
    [​IMG]

Silver truck got new inner outer fenders, inner outer rockers, full factory bed repair with the built on tailpan, sanded and reprimed the rear quarters, cut out the rust in the front floors and put in new steel, poly bushings 1" body lift, tailgate with all the innards, factory 2000 Med Metallic Charcole paint, billet grill, going to a phontom grill and H4 headlight swap in the fall

The brown truck has 1.5"bldy lift poly bushings, WHOLE NEW CUSTOM diamonda plate floors, custom rockers, custom tailpan, sub frame, all new body mounts, getting a new core support and pickup tailgate, and I trimmed all the fenders enough to remove most of the rust... its going to be the wheeler so i could care less if its got s couple rusty spots but when you fall through the floor and you poke the body mounts with a screw driver and they fall off I guess its time to fix it.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Coming in the fall.... FRAME SWAP! you had a frame so bad you can put a screw driver through it? this one is /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif so when did you want talk? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yes, we are the capital of the rust belt. Bow down to us /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Try living in Upstate NY, between Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and Binghamton making the top 15 snowiest cities every year (and dumping enough salt to make a crust on the sides of the roads...) Indiana looks beautiful from a rust/snowbelt standpoint.

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, we are the capital of the rust belt. Bow down to us /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It sucks over on this side of the state also!!

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I told you it looked like it was going to break in half /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

when i get frustrated with my truck... and it seems like there is so much work To do on it... Im just gonna come on here on search for "rust" then i will once again realize how lucky i am /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.......

That kinda makes you guys hardcore, dealin with cancer like that... the only rust ive seen that bad is the Trucks that the guys use to pull their Dory Boats out of the ocean with at Pacific City

12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

if "Rust Bucket" turns out like "Wasn't Me", then you'll have two sweet rides /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I like the grey. Sweet web page by the way!

13. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never seen this so called "rust"./forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif And tell me once more why you put salt on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif lol sometimes...no all the time its great to be a southerner. Yea ha!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so when did you want talk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you are in PA. I'll snag a case of Yuengling, we'll kick back a few and swap rust stories /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And if you think PA and NY are bad go visit cleveland some time. They have a huge salt mine there. Piles of the stuff you can see and small right off the highway. I passed a truck that was so rusted I was afraid to follow him. Both his rear quarter panels were literally flapping in the wind like a bird trying to take off /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That would be why I don't live there anymore. (well, one of the reasons) I just bought a 95 Yukon from back home and even it has a good bit of rust. Back when I was a kid and body pannels wern't plastic or galvinized cars would be rusted out in just a couple years. Cleveland is right behind SLC for salt, and they are not affraid to use it. Good old Cleveland, the "mistake on the lake", the only major US city to have its main supply of drinking water catch on fire...TWICE!

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you are in PA. I'll snag a case of Yuengling, we'll kick back a few and swap rust stories /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And if you think PA and NY are bad go visit cleveland some time. They have a huge salt mine there. Piles of the stuff you can see and small right off the highway. I passed a truck that was so rusted I was afraid to follow him. Both his rear quarter panels were literally flapping in the wind like a bird trying to take off /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Again I got one for ya.... this is not indiana rust (typical of indiana rust) but this was a plow truck in Arkon Ohio, just a jump skip south of Cleveland /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

*NOTE TO SELF* EBAY AUCTIONS FOR CARS ARE NEVER AS GOOD AS THEY SEEM! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Ebay pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    inspections pics day 1 back at home

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I feel for you poor bastids in the salt belt.......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Y'all need to move! I wouldn't put up with that bullshit at all! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Sadly, around here we would consider an Ohio car a plus because of LESS rust than the local cars.

On a side note, have family in Ohio, parents and brother and sister were born there as well (Dayton and Lima areas)
    even made a trip when I was younger to pick up a grandparents old Caprice when I was a teenager, thought it was so great because it was like 10 years old and only had a half dozen golf ball size rust spots on it...

Then I moved to NC for a few years and realized that rust wasn't a government plot to keep any car older than 10 years off the roads... Don't ask why I moved back to NY.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

20. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I passed a truck that was so rusted I was afraid to follow him. Both his rear quarter panels were literally flapping in the wind like a bird trying to take off

[/ QUOTE ]
    were you following me? sounds like my truck when i first got it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif