Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A wierd one for the X files

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Apr 20, 2005.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, Earlier this month I asked about 6.2 diesel and what people felt about it. Well, to make a long story short I bought the truck I was looking at. It is a 2wd crewcab. Not strange until you run the vin numbers that are matching everywhere. It is a 3/4 ton crew cab. I didn't know they made such a thing. Now to make it more bizarre yet the Frame is a one ton. The spring perches are narrow like a one ton. From everything you can just look at or measure its a one ton. Not according to the VIN.

Seperate subject, anybody have a link to the photo of the chevy truck that has duals front and rear? No, not gona do that just wanted to show somebody.

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Lets see some pics!

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I had a "3/4 ton" 2wd crewcab for awhile but it had a 350 in it. They are not that common but not that rare either. Hell if I know why or how GM made them but they're deffinately out there.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

give me a minute on the pic

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

there ya go i think thats the one your after

162091779042415199zXDvUs_ph.jpg

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes chevy made the a 3/4 ton crew cab in only a 2wd and used a 1 ton frame. the only thing i can think is different is the front suspention and brakes.

dremu has a 78 c20 CC.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Dad bought a 2WD '76 3/4 ton crew cab brand new...I didn't realize they were that uncommon.

rene

8. cybrfire

I guess I just never heard of a 3/4 ton crewcab but then to have a 1 ton frame under it seems odd also. I'll post a few pics of it tomorrow if I get a chance.

y5mgisi, thanks that is the pic I was looking for. I love showing some of these car guys what they are missing.

:grin:

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh my neighbor had a 76 3/4 crew cab we used for scrapping hauling to shredder alot of loads, 1 ton frame with 40" spring spacing, just a plain old c30 badged as a c20

another thing wierd liek that gm did was from late 68 to 72 there was a longhorn pickup model available as c20 and c30, both were 1 ton chassis also, the pickup box was 8 foot plus a 1/2 foot extra tacked onto front end of bed so it was 1 ton wheelbase

there used to be a couple 68 longstep 9 footers running around town too but they disappeared a few years ago, i dunno why or where to but they were good running DD's

one x file i havent figured out though yet are the mid 70s short wheelbase c20's

i have seen a coupel now, both chassis cab single wheel models, i havent gotten to see spid label of either, there was a 76 around here with utility box bed on back and i had a chance to look in glovebox and forgot all about it and it ended up at a local towing business yard recently and the owner just passed away tuesday afternoon,,.

so if he still had the truck but just moved it to another yard then its doomed for sure to be taken to shredder by another towing biz here who used to be my neighbor years ago back in the 80's when he was just starting out towing with a couple 1 ton dually wreckers i remember.. now he is into semi's and long distance and all kinds, i dunno how he did it, he is no rocket scientist either..., he did something right and id like to know what, heh

its crazy, :/

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Funny this has come up... I just saw a '70s C20 crewcab SRW the other day outside a local tranny shop.

12. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Short answer: yes.

Crew-cabs were made in small enough numbers that I think economies of scale kicked in; GM made them all on the C/K-30 frame... thicker frame, narrow spacing, etc.

Note that the crew cab "C20" rear springs are the same as a regular cab C30 would get -- presumably the extra weight of the cab put it under the limit for a 1-ton. Either that or the General wanted to play numbers with the smog people; my crewcab is something crazy like a 8200 gross? (Weird, when my old 1990 3/4 Burb was 8600!) ... but an otherwise identically equipped truck with the big rear springs is like 10K.

Anyway, it's an easy upgrade to bring such a truck up to C30 standards. I went through the parts books and brochures, and the front suspension is identical for a regular cab C30 and a crewcab C20, at least for my '74 (your later diesel one may differ.) The crewcabs get all the heavyduty stuff that's optional on the regular cabs, so the six packs are equipped the same as the high-GVWR reg cabs.

The only thing that changes is the rear springs. I got a set of the big gnarly ones with the overload (and associated brackets) from a member here, and voila, the easiest 1-ton upgrade I'll ever do :D

newrearsprings.jpg

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Close -- and chuckle, thanks! See my other long post for details.

Interesting about the 2WD. I'd not noticed before, but you're right, seems like there are C30 and K30 sixpacks, but only C20's. Huh.

Now the kicker is whether the C20 sixpacks came in DRW... pretty sure the reg cabs could be had in SRW, DRW, 3/4 or 1-ton.

-- A

14. cybrfire

I have all the conversion parts for this one already to go. Dana 60 front axle and springs and steering box. SM465 and NP205. 14 bolt rear that matches the 60 with spring packs. Dually fenders. Tires are on the way. New poly for all the appropriate places. 6" lift is the only thing I'm missing. Can't wait to get started on it. Everytime I drive it I feel like I'm sitting on the ground.