Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a wierd sound when i start my blazer!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Aug 23, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hey all,

just before a few days ago, when im tryin to start my k5, i only hear a click sound from the switch and nothing happens, only click click click, then suddenly it starts, i dont think its the batt. coz its nu' and sometimes it starts immediatly, i donno why is this? any1 can help plz /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That click click click is your solenoid. I had the same problem, but mine wouldn't start. Ended up being the solenoid. Sounds like it is slowly going bad. Must be hanging up sometimes.

Kris

3. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

so what to do, could it b fixed or try to find a new one...

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

It is very easy to fix. You will need to pull the starter off. If there are any shims, take note of how many and their placement. Also note where the wires go that you removed from the solenoid The solenoid is bolted to the top of the starter. I would take the starter with solenoid attached to the parts house and let them test it on their bench just to make sure. The solenoid is cheep, $10. Once you get the new on, I would let the parts house check it again, just to be sure. Then put it all back together. Something else I just thought of.. What kind of shape is your negative battery cable in? Good grounding point? I had this problem too. So, double check that before you pull the starter. Any more questions, just ask.

Kris

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

could be a bad ground acting up..check the grounds to the firewall and to the frame..does it spark from underneath when you start it?

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    could be a bad ground acting up..check the grounds to the firewall and to the frame..does it spark from underneath when you start it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also are the cables getting hot, another indication of a bad or loose connection.

John