Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A wild friday!!...WHITEOUT and THUNDER????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Dec 9, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We got an inch of snow friday morning,then it rained like a monsoon on top of it ..I go outside at 1pm,shovel all the steps and walks off,and get my diesel going,and plow the inch of slushy glopp off my driveway,plus I shovel out the bed of my truck....park my truck,and go in my garage for a few moments..its still raining at this point..I had a feeling someone up there was watching me for some reason..:confused: ..I noticed it suddenly felt much colder than it was a few minutes before...:thinking:

About 5 minutes later,I hear the rain on my quonset hut turning to ice pellets..then the wind starts picking up..A LOT!!!..it sounds like a freight train coming ...the ice pellets turn to a blinding snow,coming down sideways,with a 60 mph wind pushing it!..:mad:

This continues for over an hour--with THUNDER and LIGHTNING!!..I've only seen "Snow Thunder" about 4 times in my life,and this was definately THE worst whiteout I'd ever seen!... We got nearly 6" of snow in an hour and 30 minutes..!!

Now I have to start all over again tomorrow...:angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

Our state was crippled the entire afternoon..all major highways were gridlocked!..the central part of the state where my sister and brother live got between 12 to 18 inches of snow in less than 12 hours!..

Glad I wasn't going to the Brad Paisley/Sara Evans concert tonite in Lowell MA..Sara was interveiwed on the Boston country station sposoring the concert--she was quite upset about the "blizzard",because the last show she did here last January was also the night a blizzard struck here,and 2 feet of snow fell!...she was concerned about the fans safety,worried they might get in an accident or run off the road getting to the show..she wasn't sure if SHE was going to be able to get there herself!!..

I'm not sure if the concert went on as scheduled or not..all I know is the 30 minute ride from here to boston was taking an average of 2 and a half hours!....and the ride from there to Lowell was at least as long..tractor trailers jacknifed all over,many couldn't climb the hills on Rt.495 and 128!.

By 4:30 Pm,the sun was poking out...we had a nice sunset..:screwy:

I'm really getting sick of living here..its not even winter yet..and its 17 degrees out right now..:mad: :crazy: ..

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Oh well, look at the bright side diesel? At least you can probably make some cash plowing right.

There's always a silver lining, just sometimes you've really got to dig to find it.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Sara Evans is hott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all I have to say about that.:D :D :D

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW, done saw it on the news but ,. thats crazy.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

well,I guess I was lucky??...LOTS of damage!!

I've been watching the news today..I guess my town got the least of the snow,and wind damage!!..Cape Cod got hammered!!..wind gusts over
    90 MPH were recorded at Martha's Vineyard,and at several locations on the outer Cape,like the towns of Orleans,Eastham,and Brewster..there were 150,000 customers without power last night,they have restored it to all but 20,000 that will likely not have power for several days,due to transformers popping and thousands of trees down..

I was amazed at the footage on the news!..it looked like pictures of New Orleans after Katrina!.thousands of trees ripped right out of the ground!!-HUGE ones too!!.a lot of them fell on houses,and in the roads!...:eek1:

The weather men and women all had egg on their faces..they had predicted a big storm tuesday..everyone scrambled to buy shovels,food,etc,and mobbed all the stores and wiped out the stock!..then it went out to sea,and we got a dusting!..:rolleyes:

Then yesterday they were predicting only 3-6 " and a changover to rain --they were right on until noon time..then I guess the low pressure area collided with warm air just about right over Raynham,and literally "blew up"..I have heard the wind sound like that only a few times during summer thunderstorms,when the cold front passes overhead..this lasted a good 15 minutes..nearby Plymouth MA had a gust to 73 MPH!!

I'd guess the wind was 65+ mph constant here during that time period,with higher gusts!..the snow felt like BB's hitting you,almost like getting sandblasted!..:eek1: you couldn't stand up and walk around in it,thats for sure!

I've seen lightning and thunder a few times before during snowstorms,but never like it was yesterday!..they say it was more powerful ,and did more damage,than Hurricane "Bob" that passed over the Cape in the early 90's!..one thing for sure..there is lots of firewood on Cape Cod now!...hope those folks without power have wood stoves or fireplaces!..funny thing is,they got only an inch or two of snow..we got 9"--I measured it today..

Its a mess here,the side roads are solid ice about 3" thick,with only 2 ruts for your tires on the side roads..the combination of snow and rain,and the fact they only salted the roads at first and did not plow have made them very unsafe..and its not gonna melt soon either!:doah: only the highways are bare right now..I can HEAR my truck rusting, thanks to all the Calcuim Cloride they dumped!!..:mad:

I don't use my truck to plow anyone out but myself anymore..its supposedly illegal to do with passenger plates,and without a special insurance policy that costs over a grand!:eek1: ..plus..

I have had my fill of staying out all night,breaking my plow or truck,and then not being able to plow MY driveway!-("Y" shaped and 200' long!!)-and chasing people for the money,and getting calls in the spring ,complaints that I "ruined their lawn"!,and want me to fix it...:mad: no more...

I'll only plow out a few close friends that I know wont stiff me,or whine if I rip some sod out,or maybe even slide into their car or house..I learned many years ago its very difficult to "make" money plowing..you do make a lot--but tranny's,clutches,and u-joints,and whatever else breaks on the truck or plow eat a lot of the profit(and now the insurance!)...plus you have to bust ass to fix it in a hurry too,when you breakdown....getting too old for that!..

And yeah...Sara Evans IS hot!...hard to believe she has 3 kids with that body!!..but so does Martina Mcbride!...both look dee-licious!..and sing like angels..:D ..I wonder if they still held the concert??.....:crazy: