Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A wild ride and some advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Oct 31, 2001.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I don't usually post I just hang around and read the post's. I have learned a great deal from this message board, thanks to all. Well here's what happened...I was driving to work this morning when there was a wobbling feeling for about 2 seconds then the blazer's back end slammed to the ground with sparks shooting out the back end and the cars behind me scattering from my driver side back wheel bouncing down the road. (To end up in the Espressor World drive thru). I pulled into a gas station, thankful for the full time xfer case, and parked it. Got a ride to work from a cute blonde who narrowly escaped my back tires solo trek across two lanes of traffic. So, it looks like the axel broke right at the backing plate. (duh!) And I ground down the brakes on that side pretty well too. Is it as simple as putting in a new axel and rebuilding the brakes? Or am I in for a lot more work, like a whole new rear end. I only have about a $1000 into the blazer including the purchase price. I love blazers but I'm thinking that if it's going to cost a bunch to fix I may just dump it and go buy a different one (without all the rust) and start over. Appreciate you guys thanks for the input.

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Wow, what a scary trip. Could be (without being able to see pics) that you broke off the studs...........or someone loosened them for you and then they broke. Thought it might have been that you lost a c-clip off your axle inside, but if you only lost your wheel that shoots that theory. Sounds like if it is only the lug nut studs might be fairly easy. If you ground down the 'outside' of the drum brake with the spark show, it shouldn't be that big of a deal I would guess. Just put new studs in and might be good to go if everything else is intact..

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Actually the drum is still bolted to the wheel. It's like the plate broke off the axel. Pretty weird stuff.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You should take a good look at the brake parts and make sure that they are OK and look inside the diff as well. You probably stepped on the brake pedal with the drum missing, so your wheel cylinder is probably out way too far. It may or may not be OK. Most of the damage is probably to the backing plate and the area where the shoes tie in at the bottom. If all is well, you're probably just looking at a new axle shaft. Otherwise, probably just a new brake.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sound like you broke an axle ! Welcome to the club .
    Buyer be wear, there are some not so good replacement axle shafts just waiting to be sold.
    Same goes for the bearing that the axle shaft rides on, whach out for the bearings that come from China.
    You are probly looking at about 150.00 in parts, and a half day of your time to fix.
    Also depending on your loaction, and market conditions, a used rear end may be something to consider.
    Good luck

6. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Can you go into more detail about what is left on the truck? If the drum is on and the axle did not break, then you're looking at new studs, lug nuts, possibly a wheel, and a drum.

If the drum is still on the truck your axle could not have broken.
    Eric D
    88 K30 Blazer

7. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

The drum is on the wheel, which is in the back of the blazer. Just the brake shoes and springs etc. are on the groud.

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You will have to pull the diff cover, pull the cross pin partially out so that you can remove the c clip, and remove whet is left of the old axle shaft. You will also want to replace the outer bearing and seal while you are at it. Then put a new axle in and address the damage to the brake backing plate and shoes if any and you are back on the road. I have had this happen to me several times, once with a 14SF. You can probably pick up a good used GM axle at a wrecking yard. Good luck.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

depending on the area you can pick up a 14FF for under 150 or anyother complete diff for that price. instead of taking your pumpkin apart you could just bolt it right up. just make sure it's the same ratio...

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

10. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

What Mr. Chevy said. This is the problem with semi-floating axles. The weight of the vehicle is supported by the outer bearing that the axle rides in. The axle will start to wear at the bearing and in most instances, the outer seal will start to leak. If you look at the broken shaft, you will probably see where the axle is actually necked down where it rode in the bearing. 12 bolt axle shafts are starting to get hard to find so good luck. I have a few shafts that you can have, but they are in MI so I'd check around there first. Send me a PM if you don't have any luck.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

11. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

This happened to me in my 2wd chevy. The wheel, tire, and brake assembly actually bounced over my moms truck who was driving behind me. I got the parts from the junkyard very cheap. If i was you i would try to get a 14bolt and swap it in, and not have any problems again.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

12. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Cool I was kinda waiting for the 14FF upgrade crowd to show up. Now all I have to do is convince my wife. BTW we were watching Car and Driver last weekend and they were showing all the high hp factory cars for '02. I told her I need the new Viper w/ 450hp and she said why don't you just get the big block 502 for your blazer. Need I say more?[​IMG]