Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a "wtf" moment..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazn83, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Blazn83

Blazn83 Registered Member

So, the nut goes ontop of the drive shaft yolk (not in pic), which pushes onto the bearing, and crushes the sleeve (where my finger is), or am I wrong?
    [​IMG]
    I put my breaker bar, with a 6 foot pole on it for more leverage, and not even a sign of crushing (pic was taken after attepmting to crush with breaker bar & 6 foot pole)

Am I missing something here? I mean...wtf?!

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It takes quite a bit of force to start the initial crush on the crush sleeve. I know a lot of guys actually put it in a press and do it that way just to get it started because once its started it goes one hell of a lot easier. I did mine with my impact wrench.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

X2 to what he said

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You wont' be able to see the crush just feel it. The yoke will get harder to turn.

5. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

I had to "start" the crush on mine in a 20 ton press. My impact (600ft.lbs.) still had some trouble with it. One thing to watch out for is an impact socket is kinda thick, I had to grind a taper in mine in order to keep the socket from binding in the yoke.

6. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

if that sleeve is the old one and has already been crushed u must flaten it back out to reuse it or it will not work, just take a bfh and start tapin it around and u will see it start to flatn out, then u can reinstall it, i have reused old ones with no problems, also my dad has been rebuilding rears, starting on semis and taught the guy that runs custom diffs in missouri if u have ever heard of him, has had a 72 blazer in petersons, and thats were i learned that u could reuse them, before that i wouldnt have lmao