Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A Wyoming WTF File - 03/03

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - At first, Terri Smith thought it was just an oversized rock that attracted her dog's attention. Then the rock moved.

Smith found a giant tortoise, weighing some 60 to 70 pounds, trying to burrow into the dirt - an unlikely visitor to Wyoming.

The state Game and Fish Department said they'd send someone out Wednesday to examine the animal and told Smith it was probably a desert tortoise, a species native to the Southwest.

"I don't know if someone dropped him off or if he got lost," Smith said. "I couldn't just leave him there."

Smith's husband, Ken Smith, brought the tortoise back to their home until Game and Fish could examine it.

Terri said she was told by someone at Game and Fish to count the rings on the shell to determine the age. She guesses the animal is 130 to 133 years old.

The couple joked that Turtle had found a turtle. "My father nicknamed me Turtle as a young girl," Terri said, "because I move like a turtle."

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

desert tortoise, never knew of it.

would never had belived it, if it wasent here!!!

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pretty cool!

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Go figure.

I've lived 1 hour South of Cheyenne most of my life and never heard of Desert Tortoise.

Desert Rat, heard of him.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Desert Tortuga's are a big deal 'round these parts. We've lost access to some areas b/c of them. Shared one with some ppl up the hill when I was a kid. You think they're slow moving until you turn your back, then they're GONE!