Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a yo' greg72...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 3car, Dec 29, 2002.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

a yo\' greg72...

you seem to be the top dog on stereos,so i thought id throw this at ya'.i've built pods for 6.5's in my doors where the pouch usually goes.i have junk speakers in there now,but its time for an upgrade.i was thinking alpine spr 174a type r,which is a coaxl w/inline x-over and a tweeter that you can adjust somewhat for imaging.or possibly alpine component 6.5's.power comes from an alpine 7893(i think thats it)50x4.maybe ill amp it up sometime in the future.i also have 2 12"alpine subs.will the component speakers sound much better,enough to justify the added instalation hastle?thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: a yo\' greg72...

Hey Rob,

Well it's kind of a tough one to say....there aren't any "perfect" answers that work for everyone, and I don't know what your idea of "good sound" is.

As a basic rule, if you are going for better sound quality the seperates will give you more installation flexibility, and are generally higher quality drivers than a coaxial speaker. Using the map pocket area is OK, but it kind of puts the tweeters in a bad area, unless you can somehow angle them to aim more upwards than straight across the cab.

The "ideal" location for tweeters would be in a spot with perfectly straight "line of sight" to your ears and in a spot where both the left and right speaker were identical distances from your ears. That usually means mounting them in the floor or in some sort of small kickpanel setup....and even then, it's still not PERFECT, just better than a stock door or dash mount.

The other key is blending whatever speaker you select for the front with the subs. Two 12's are quite a bit of speaker and they could easily overwhelm a set of 6.5" coaxials or even seperates. Setting the crossover point correctly will help as well as establishing a good balance with the amount of power you feed the other speakers. This is another one of those areas where "personal preference" is almost impossible to predict. Some people like a tight, crisp bass....other people are amazed by big, flabby bass...as long as there is LOTS of it, and they can feel their guts shaking! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know it's starting to sound like I am not making ANY recommendations, but the reality is that if you buy decent quality equipment.....the ultimate sound you achieve is going to be MORE dependent on the installation and tuning than the equipment itself. It's been said many times, and it's a trueism.....the best equipment poorly installed will always be outperformed by cheaper equipment installed WELL.

The "extras" than can make a difference are:

* Paying extra for speaker pods if they give you better speaker positioning
    * Adding items like Dynamat (or equivalent) to dampen the interior and solidify metal panels
    * Paying a professional shop to build a high-quality subwoofer cabinet that can make the most of the speakers you've chosen....if you don't know anything about box building yourself.
    * Tuning - The final step of setting levels, crossover points, and slopes can sometimes make a HUGE difference in the sound (and satisfaction) of a system. This is another area where a professional shop can really help most people.
    * Deck - Making sure you spend appropriately for the head unit (which usually means spending MORE than you had planned! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) so that you have a CLEAN signal to start with....everything else in the system depends on a strong, clean signal. Think of the deck as the "heart" of the whole system and spend appropriately, even if you have to scale back slightly on something else you really wanted.

OK -> those are a few miscellaneous ramblings, but I hope it gives you some insight on things that matter. As always, if you can clearly define "WHAT" you want to ultimately achieve, it's a lot easier to plan your way to get there.....

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

Re: a yo\' greg72...

that was alot of help.thanks for reply.i was in definate need of direction! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif