Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAA Insurance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Topless84, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Topless84

Topless84 Registered Member

FYI Anyone carrying AAA insurance.
    My friends 87 Blazer was stolen a few weeks ago. The truck
    was mint. he paid 6800$ for it. Tripple A is offering him 3700$ as a pay off. Here is the catch, he can not have the truck back. The truck was recovered intact minus the drive train and some trim and of course the wheels and tires.
    It is their policy to scrap stolen and recovered vehicals reguardless of the damage, so they don't have to insure that vehical ever again.
    Just food for thought if your ever worried about having your vehicals stolen.

4X4 Once I got one, won't ever be with out one

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

With state farm you have the option of buying the vehicle back from them. Mybe you should just go and steal it back from there lot.

1985 GMC JIMMY

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is fuked up!
    i have AAA insurance and when my dad totalled his 77 chevy truck they paid about 2500 instead of the 4500 for the body work and paint it was estimated for.
    AAA is [censored]!
    I'm looking into getting a new insurance company.
    You have to fight AAA to get anything reasonable out of them!

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have AAA on the blazer now but never had to use it.

My BMW was rear ended last year with over 4000 in damage and AAA took care of everything for me, I just dropped it off at my dealer of choice and picked it up a few weeks later. They even took care of all the paperwork, other persons insurance company (Gieko) and rental car. It was about as painless as it could have been, minus whiplash of course.

Perhaps its due to the age of the vehicle. My friends 68 Camaro was hit recently and he got screwed by insurance in much the same way described by CK5 posts. He was not at fault but made the mistake of letting the other insurace company take care of it... has yet to get the car completely fixed. The other insurace was Gieko consequently.

Now I'm worried...

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

John and his brother's bought his mother a Brand spankin new 88 GTA for her 25th wedding anniversary- it was stolen at the mall in '98--- 10 years old- the car never saw rain- let alone snow- had the ORIGINAL tires on it- had almost 13000 miles- etc. etc... they found it- it had the bird stripped from the hood- dash scewed up- vin plate changed etc.. took her 1 1/2 years, and almost 10k in legal crap to get the car put back to the ORIGINAL condition- meaning they had to find a bird for the hood, decals etc... and our GM dealer had pictures of the car from a few weeks before, hanging in his show room- with the date stamp showing the condition of the car etc... still took all that money, and time- sucked for her- it was The Concord Group

John cracked up our 'vette in 97- basically totalled it- we had a new appraiser come look at it- said $11k in damage- brought it to get it fixed, it booked at 19k, so they weren't going to total it- after getting the fiberglass off and seeing the actual "damage" the car ended up with 22K of work into it, parts, labor etc... never spoke to the insurance company- didn't dicker around etc... body shop guy called them ONCE and told them what was going on- they said to send the "new appraisel" to the office- 9 days later, he had a check to make up the difference- that was Allstate insurance

my point is that its not just AAA,,,, each company is different...the worst part about "custom" vehicles, is that they don't cover you for that- you put in a 5k stereo you need to take out extra insurance, or someone can steal your car, take the stereo system and your basically screwed! it pretty much sucks!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They all suck in some form or degree but AAA in CA (CSAA) is awful. I highly recommend getting rid of them if you have it. They have too many people for the amount of agents. If it's a cut and dry case then they are fine, handle things quickly and no problems. However if there's any problems like figuring out fault it's a mess. And God be with you if you have a theft of things from the vehicle or the vehicle itself..... I got a huge $600 out my break in. Too bad they did $2500 in damage and stolen property. Oh well for those who have had good luck, that's awesome... however if the day comes when they pull one on you, don't say you weren't warned (cuz I could share even more about how they have handled some of our stuff!)............

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

7. Ovrtym

Ovrtym Registered Member

Can't you can have the vehicle insured for what it's truly worth if you have it appraised first and then insured for the appraised value? I would think that once you start to exceed the blue book value it might be something to start thinking about.... just my .02.