Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aaaaaaargh!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 7, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

STUPID F*CKING CARRIER/RING BOLTS!!! AFTER 2 1/2 HOURS OF FIGHTING WIH THEM I STILL HAVE 2 LEFT THAT ARE STUCK! :mad:

Sorry, I just had to vent. I'm trying to get the spider gears out and these are the last two bolts, but I can't even budge them! I've tried heating them up and nothing. Took the hammer to them and nothing. And the stupid carrier keeps moving around when I try do pull on the wrench. :angry1:

So I'm taking a break for now. Maybe I'll gas up the truck tomorrow and start up the air compressor so I can take the impact wrench and some WD40 to it, but I don't think that'll help. Any other ideas? Like how to keep the carrier from moving all over the work bench?

I'm so close to a locked rear. Stupid bolts......

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Why are you taking the ring gear off if your just trying to get the spider gears out? You dont even have to remove the carrier to get them out. Just take out the little bolt that holds the cross pin in, pull the cross pin, and the spider gears will fall out.

Am I missing something?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It wasn't exactly a clean room , but k5redneck and I did his using a carpet on the ground and a long long pipe ( like 5 feet long ) . Dave held the carrier into the ground , I pushed the pipe . This was on a d44 front which is regular rotation bolts :k5: :k5:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With some ratios , namely 4.10 or lower , the ring gear prevents the pin from coming out :)

5. OrangeCrushK10

4.10's

These are 4.10 gears, but I will look into doing it the other way with the pin.

I would still like to get the gear off though and maybe see if I can find 4.88's or something a bit better for it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  6. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

that wasent the funnest way to do it but it works. i have even had probles get the bolt off with a air gun. btw pauly note to self im never puting a locker in after dark when it is cold out side(sorry 60 is cold to me).

7. OrangeCrushK10

nope

Nope, there's no bolt that would remove a pin and let the gears just fall out. Mind you I'm doing this to a '72 Eaton 1 ton rear end. The only bolts I see that would let me in to get the spider gears are the bolts that hold the ring gear on and go through the two halves of the carrier.

So... I need to track down a 5' pipe and someone in the Colorado Springs that wants to help because I don't think my wife will want to. :D

And I WISH it was 60*. I'm working in 30* weather right now. It's a pretty nice day too.

8. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

this sucks i wish i could help u more. i have a eaton at the shop that i could look at and help u but im like 20 miles a way from the shop (at home) and no truck to drive. but i think u are on the right path. it should be just like a 14 bolt. pull the ring gear and the caier should split.

9. OrangeCrushK10

gears?

Anybody know where to get gears for these rears? I know I'll probably cry when I see the price, but atleast I'll know what I'm saving up for.

Randy's maybe?

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gear info

try sticking a ff shaft in a secured vise and clamp down then put diff on it to hold it . put pipe in to hold it and remove bolt . reverse to tighten and reassemble. as for gears good luck disc parts , but hered rumers a wile ago that 1 gear house has gears for them. good luck with this. :thumb:

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dude all you gotta do is take carrier up to local semi truck repair shop and theywill zing the bolts off for you, for nothing or next to it, i have dually lugnuts and ring gear bolts removed for free all the time at my local trucking repair shop

they just use a little blue point 1/2" impact gun and they come off like nothing at all, their guns are well over 250 ft lbs

i dont know why anyone would try to bust them bny hand, i find it impossible most always, so i jsut take them to the shop

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Learn something new every day :)