Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAAAH! Frustation!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Can anyone give me some tips to get the rusty body mount bolts off? I tried to use the racthet and a cheaper pipe, and that didn't work. Then I found a bigger cheater pipe, [read 8 ft. long /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif] and that didn't budge the bolt either. Then I tried to heat it up with a little propane torch. IT STILL WONT MOVE /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I cant get a grinder in there because part of the mount is covering the bolt. I need to get the body off this week (my uncle is here to help take it off...he doesn't know that yet, but he is /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) so I neeeed help! I HATE RUST /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Try some penetrating lubricant. PB Blaster, WD-40, or the like. Might help out.

Kris

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Already tried some stuff called MOOVIT... didn't work

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

torch, the only way i found to get them out.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I tried that and it didn't work. I guess I'll just heat them up longer... when I was doing it, smoke was coming out of the rocker panels /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Those body mount bolts go into a hidden square nut buried in a hidden boxed in panel--you want to avoid ripping theese nuts loose from their "cages" so dont use too much force or they will rip loose,or the bolts will snap off,and its not easy to drill and re-tap them.I have cut or ground off the bolt heads with a grinder so I could pull the cab off,then I was able to get at them easier and by welding a nut back onto the bolt shank I could spray the #@#%6 out of the nut thing with penatrating oil and heat them up with a torch until cherry red--then one broke anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBut usually you can get them out that way,but I dont think a propane torch will help much,you really need cutting torches to get enough heat.Good luck--been there more times than I care to remember!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont have a cutting torch, yet...
    How did you grind the bolt off? I have a 5" grinder, and I looked at it a few times and I cant cut the bolt head off or anything, where did you cut it off?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Under the truck--you can usually pull the lower rubber body mount bushing and washer over the head of the bolt with a pry bar--it might already be missing,usually around here they are!--then you can get at the head of the bolt to cut or grind it off.This will leave the shank of the bolt still in the mounts,so you'll have to pick the tub or cab up a little higher to clear the frame,but its better than chopping holes in the floor to get at the square nut things,of course if the floor is already trashed there,you could eliminate the square nut thing and just put a new bolt through the(new) floor pan,but it will have to be a carriage head bolt so you wont feel a big lump under your feet,or recess it so its flush with the floor. I've rebuilt more chevy cab floors,body supports,rocker panels and cab corners than I can count.I was hoping GM would start using aluminum or stainless for their cabs someday--wishful thinking,but probably not in my lifetime--I need a trip to arizona,so I can see what they were supposed to look like when they were new--all I see around here is rotted junks. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll look at it again, but I swear mine has a metal cup underneath the rubber bushing, so I cant pull them over the bolt. I'll get a pick tomororw /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just use your torch and start melting down the bushing to where you can pull it out with some pliers them just slide the little cup up and cut off the bolt, all this assuming you are going to replace the bushings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

lol, I starting doing that, but I need to find a mask.. old rubber+penetrating fluid, plus fire= lots of smoke!

Yeah I will be replacing them when I am done.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif