Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAAARGH!!! Spring hanger and shackle bolts!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Jun 5, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I am putting a lift on my truck (FINALLY!!!), and the rear spring hanger/shackle bolts are stuck in the bushing sleeves. I am flipping the rear shackle, so I want to try to save the bushings, plus they aren't in bad shape. Anyone have any tricks to getting these bolts out of the bushing sleeves w/o having to cut the bolts. I did cut the bolts off the front springs, but I installed new front springs. Thanks in advance.

John

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The problem usually is that the bolt is rusted to the steel bushing, and the bushing gives with the rubber, so it won't release the bolt.

You can remove these bolts - just keep at it. Use lots of penetrant and let it soak in. One time I had to hook a come-a-long to the head of the bolt with the other side to the opposite spring. Eventually it came out with a great deal of racheting with the come-a-long.

Also, you can put the nut back on and hammer away. This can loosten up the bolt from the bushing.

3. SkulzNBonz

I was thinking along the lines of a C-clamp type press. I am having a guy in our shop fab me one. Any other ideas out there, I know I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Thanks again.

John

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You might try a ball joint press. Autozone has a loaner tool.

5. SkulzNBonz

Yeah, I thought about the ball joint/u-joint press. I have one on loan to me from a friend, but I am still going to have to "Gerry" rig a fixture to get it to work in such tight quarters. Thanks all.

John

6. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i had the exact same problem this past weekend on my 91 K5.man those bolts are a PITA!i tied everything,ended up using a ball joint press to push those nasty pricks out.good luck!

7. SkulzNBonz

Thanks for all the info, I am leaving right now to fight w/ them again. Will let y'all know how it goes.

John