Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAAGHHH!!! My 71 ElCamino Burned Up

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88Silverado, Aug 8, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Must of split a fuel line which was ignited by the distributor. Hugh explosion and fireball.
    Scorched the side of the garage.
    Think its totaled /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://home1.gte.net/res096qi/71ElkyFire.htm

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

link no worky, but that sucks about the camino /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thats a Damn shame, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Oh man, that SUCKS !!!!! So what's the plans now ??? Will your insurence cover any of it ??? As a fellow El Camino owner I feel for you. Camino website

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well that blows. At least you can fix the damage toot sweet and then she'll be all better and back on the road.

6. 88Silverado

Hummm...dont know why the link dont work....seems to work from here?
    Can anyone open it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Link works for me...sorry to see the pics though!!

I think it's prolly fixable, and would look a lot less bad with some of the fire damaged components removed. New top end of the motor, wiring harness, hoses and stuff and it would be back to looking OK under the hood again. I'd think it's be best to pull the motor and repaint the firewall and stuff first though.

Be glad it didn't move into the interior of the car...and be even more glad the house didn't go. I noticed the gas main beside the car in one pic... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Link works now for me.

Woah that looks terrible! That really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dude! that sucks. I have a '71 SS Chevelle so I can feel your pain.

I also think its fixable. Good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i hope your insurance covers it. hope you get it fixed soon. keep us posted

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That really sucks, brother, but it could have been way worse. Like Rene, I noticed that gas meter sitting within feet of where the fire climbed the wall.......

Ever seen one of those suckers blow? I have, and it's not a pretty sight.

Anyhow, good luck on getting her fixed back up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 88Silverado

Yea, I just moved it over to the side of the house to wash and clean it for a cruze today. Started to sputter like it was cold, reved it up a couple of times then BANG !!
    Wiring inside the dash is burned also and interior stinks. Been working on it for a few years and just got the motor installed about 1 year ago. You can see the work on my 71Elcamino link at the bottom. Need to see what insurance is going to do.

If it happened in the garage it would have been much worse since it was right next to the Firehawk and the inside probably would have gone up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My friend has a 70 Vette with a built 400 and NOS for sale /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I look at it. Its taken me 5 years of sweat and labor to get it where she was /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Hate that for ya man! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Damn man that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But it does look like it can be fixed. It could have been much worse, atleast you weren't under the hood working /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. 88Silverado

The closer I look at this, It blew the right valve cover completly off the enging, blew the bolts out of the left cover and blew the dip stick out of the engine. Bet it had a stuck float or something that was pouring a bunch of raw fuel down the engine (which would explain why it was running so terrible) and filled the oil pan with gas and exploded.

Well, now to wait for the insurance adjuster /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    My right ear is still ringing from the bang inside the car. Thank God for that firewall!

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Would a 396 be right at home in that engine bay ??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif 396 with 7 year / 70,000 mile warrenty Listed for a 69, but it'll go nicely in your 71 if you're intrested in it. Not too bad of a price either.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That sucks for you and your wallet . I don't wish that on anyone . Thank God your allright , and you got it out before you lost the whole thing , or worse yet your home . Hug your family and friends and be glad your safe /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

At least all of what you need is available though from lots of places /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If only I ahad the money: caddy!

19. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, That really blows. You put a lot of time and detail into it. It is hard to get back the ambition to put something back together that you have put a lot of time and effort into after it gets destroyed.

That is odd that it exploded after being flooded. Usually, when an engine is flooded, the engine just dies, and then you smell a bunch of gasoline, but your engines spark plugs actually fired the excess of fuel in the engines intake runners and KABOOM!

20. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    It is hard to get back the ambition to put something back together that you have put a lot of time and effort into after it gets destroyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif