Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAAHHHH!!!!!! Priming again!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ChevyDrivnRdneck, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Ok I did a search and didn't find the answer i was liiking for....... This 82 K5 was ran out of fuel....I have tried Loosening the injectors for fuel to flow thru. I even took the glow plugs out for easy turn over. I can't seem to get fuel past the fuel filter...WHY???? is there a return in the fuel filter????? I was using a relay starter button..does the key have to be on??? for the pump??? Sorry for all the ignorance...Just bought this thing and have not 1 clue how to work on a Diesel......Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need to disconnect the pink wire from the injector pump and spin it over for a while to get fuel to the pump. Then reconnect the pink wire and loosen off the injector lines...crank in 10-15 second bursts with a 1-2 minute break between until fuel drips from the fittings. (I removed the glow plugs for all of this)

When you see fuel drip out of a line tighten that one up. You should see a mist squirt out of that cylinder when cranked if the air is gone.

It took me a few tries to get enough of the air out for mine to fire...it was very tedious!!(and messy)

Rene

3. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

And yes, turn the key on to give power to the injector pump. Are you getting fuel to the filter? If so, then if you dont have the key on, you wont have power to the fuel silenoid on the injector pump. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

TRUSTY,
    When you use the method you describe above, do you have fuel at filter number 1? On my 83 diesel, it doesn't matter what you do to the injector pump or any of that until you refill the lines going from the mechanical pump BACK to the tank through the filter 1.... In other words, the way my 83 works is that the Mech pump is after the first filter, therfor, turning over the engine won't do squat till I physically pour diesel into the 1st filter and down the fuel line to the pump to prime the pump, then the rest is cake..... Is mine backwards or just a first gen thing... Just curious because I know it's a pita!

Another thing, never tried it on my diesel, but we do this at work alot to the old duce and half and 5 ton trucks.... We take a spare fuel cap and knock a 3/8th hole in it so you can screw an air hose in it, screw the fuel cap down and turn the air on, that preasurizes the system and forces the fuel to the engine... WOrks great and every time! I think I'll try this sometime to see if it might work.... Not much use on the side of the road or stranded, but great for us infront of our house with a compressor! I know the military trucks are vented, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem with that, but I haven't tried it out yet to see..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine isn't a factory 6.2 truck...I plumbed it: tank lines to lift pump, then lift pump to Racor, Racor to filter, filter to injector pump.

Rene

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I've done the air hose deal, but just used a big towel and air hose. Just don't use too much air pressure. You hear nasty things coming from your fuel tank. You will think it is coming a part (1st time experience). I have also installed an electric fuel pump on the 6.2. It works great and don't need the air. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys it to.ld me "sputter sputter.......clackity clack " earlier /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif gonna take it for a spin here in a little bit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif THANKS AGAIN!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif