Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aaahhhhhh need choice help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by quicker, Jul 16, 2006.

1. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I know now for sure that I want a Chevy blazer and I am down to two trucks.

A 1975 with a 400 with a 350 trans and 205 transfer case. Comes with 4 inch lift properly done with bfg tires and k mart rims. 33inch tires I am in California so this unit also has the bonus of no smog. Body is nasty. New dash top. The engine has a good compression reading but I have no idea how many miles are on it. Trans is crap. 205 yes a great advantage.

1987 new crat engine 350, Trans 700r4, 208 transfer case. **** Painted purple and green**** lol nasty nasty looking colors but very clean no rust. It has a very nasty 8inch lift with alcoa rims and k-mart tires. 35 inch tires. The rear lift is almost all block and the transfer case is not dropped yet they bolted the spacers under the transfer case brace. so the brace sits against the frame then comes the spacers and then the nuts....??? Makes me a little worried about the quality of the rest of the work.

Rear brakes are rattling like a....rattle.

The deal is killing me because the 80,s glam truck has a good engine efi and clean body but I have to paint it anyway and almost redo the entire suspension... the owner wants alot for his pretty paint job.

The 75 has no smog and good engine but unknown mileage. The suspension is clean. Rusty body and crappy interior. No efi. I would like to go 700r4 on the 75 but I am not sure of the conversion cost to slip a 205 onto the trans.

I am a welder fabricator so basic structure mods are no big deal.

Both have bad AC and it was 110 today.

I would love others opinions maybe other issues to look out for when making my final decision.

I do have a budget and my list of most important to least is:

good power , efi, usable suspension, overdrive, 36" tires.

If I can get a fairly cheap way to efi the 400 then I may be able to make the 1975 work. Depends on the cost of the 700r4 205 adapter cost.
    The truck will be utilitarian use and transportation as well. Oh and I will be adding cut out flares to whatever I buy..

Thanks for any input. (Bought the 1975)

UPDATE::
    I now have a new choice dilemma.

The 1975 comes with a TH350 and what I thought was a 205 but turned out to be a 203.

I was going to get the TH350 rebuilt and get a doubler kit. Well as it so happens I bought the 205 today so instead of buying a 203 I did it in reverse. The problem dilemma for me is the 205 is attached to an old 4 speed cast iron manual trans and comes with all the parts basically needed to convert to manual shift….

I saw it on Craig’s list and I will get a pic from there. That way I don’t have to get out the camera and so forth.

The 205 I now have has these numbers on its id plate.

Model 205 Ratio 196

Serial 3-14-77

Assem. No. 460839

I have no idea where the trans info will be but it has a lot of 17 , 16 … numbers followed by GM on it. The bell housing is aluminum. It was in a 78 Chevy truck behind a old 350 according to the guy I bought it from.

SO should I do doubler with the th350 trans rebuild meaning I shouldn’t have to change driveshafts and could keep my gearing for mild freeway driving….

Or go with the stick ..still not sure what it will turn out to be.

Thanks for any help or info.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

HMMM tough choice. I would probably go with the newer truck, well actually I wouldn't. but that would be the logical choice it seems. 75 is still full topper right? That alone would make me buy the older one. Although the other one makes more sense to buy good body and FI is hard to beat. Sorry guess I am not much help.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the newer truck. As far as the cross member, that's the way they were bolted on from the factory. Don't ask me why, maybe they were providing spacers for future cross member drops :confused: .

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

To me, older is better. No smog hassles is a big plus. On the newer truck, why pay for a paint job you don't like? The 75, you can mod the engine just about any way you want, w/o any hassles from the smog patrol.
    If you are gonna off road it and beat it up some, the nasty body should not be an issue.

5. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

Bought the 1975. I know to some the freedom to do as you will is just how it is but in California it is only had with a smog less vehicle. The 33's turn out to be 35's and the lift was a 6 inch. The 400 is great I love the power. I will post pictures as I go but the most important part is finally I have a real 4X4 again.

The body needs some work but it is straight and has minimal rust.

4x4 design?? I was told there was a good shop to get parts for the blazer.

I need a soft top, bushwhacker cut out pocket flares and many other parts to get it converted to a nv4500. So much to do but I really do need some assistance to avoid spending all my money on figuring out what to do and what not to do.

Daily driver don’t care about gas and want to build for medium to hard wheeling.

Also the issue of tires I have 12 bolt rear and a Dana 44 front. The lift is a rough country with the nitro shocks. Will I be ok with 36ich tires or should I upgrade to 14 bolt rear?? Still not sure about the front?

Please Help.

Thanks for all your input/ help.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

With 36's you will want lower gears. Find a 3/4 ton with a FF 14 bolt rear and 4.10 gears and swap both axles under your truck. That is a pretty cheap way to regear and get some added strength and braking power and it pretty much bolts on.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say get the 75 cause you are in Cali. Also 75 is a full convertable.

Ira

8. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

Any ideas for my new problem??